1909 Penny ***Update*** ??? New Pics ???

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1909 Penny ***Update*** ??? New Pic's ???

I soaked this little baby in Virgin Olive oil for about a day and half. I held it under warm water and scrubbed it with a tooth brush and soap for a few minutes. As I was cleaning I kept checking my progress. It seems that it was getting cleaner but it also looks as if it was loosing detail. It's cleaned up some but I still can't tell much about it. I can't see the mint mark or the VDB. I know where to look but can't see it. The coin is in better shape then the photo appears. But not much better.
To tell the truth it don't matter to me if it's worth $500.000 bucks or not. At this point I only know two things about this coin.
1. It is the oldest coin I have ever found.
2. I know that it is at least worth 1 cent.
Thanks for looking.

Kermit

Attachments

• 1909 2.jpg
    1909 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 1909 rev2.jpg
    1909 rev2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0
Re: 1909 Penny ***Update*** ??? New Pic's ???

nice find....leave it soak for weeks, months, maybe a year...i have a large cent and all my wheaties soaking in olive oil. The large cent has been soaking for three months, don't rush it...its been in the ground for nearly a century, what's another few months? By the way my large cent was a mess when it came out of the ground and it is finally showing some promise

thats what most of the wheaties around here come out looking like. the soil must be extra hard on them.nice old date though.......it was almost an indian!

It took me lots of wheats to get a 1909, so it is a good find. Nice coin.

Congrats on your oldest coin! HH, Mike

Glad I read this post....I didn't know about the olive oil soak. I'll have to try that one!

HH,

Moon

Nice coin, Kermit. Love the old ones.

Congrats!! Very nice find!! Take it to a coin dealer, he has the equipment to be able to tell. I once thought I had dug a 43 copper. I took it in, and under their equipment, you could still see the shadow of the 8. Way back when, someone had sanded it to try to pass it off as a 43 copper wheat. HH

I wish you the best of luck on your find. I need to learn more about restoring coins

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back