1900 AND A KNIFE TO BOOT!!!

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today it was pretty nice out. 50 degrees and overcast. I went to a park in a little out of the way town. Nobody I know has ever even heard of it. I got there about 11:30 and the plan was to detect the park until about 2:30. I had to leave then to go pick up my son from school. Plus I really wanted to put the ACE 250 to the test since I have just received the 9x12 coil. This is only the 3rd time I have used my ACE. I have always prefered my Bounty Hunter. Maybe not now.

I wasn't even there for 5 minutes before an old guy pulled up in an old pick-up truck, hopped out and struck up a conversation. He asked if I had found anything. I told him that I just got there. He then went into how he has been detecting for about 10 years. He proceeded to tell me of every find that he has made right into how many rings (both silver & gold) that he has found, how many silver coins, the denominations of them, how many wheat's he has pulled, and finally how much clad he found in the last 10 years.

The conversation lasted about 30 minutes. He was real nice, but I wanted to do some detecting. He looked at his watch and mumble some cuss words about how he had to go drive his wife somewhere and started to leave. Then he turned to me and said "Son, I've hit this park real hard, never found anything of age in it."

Now that statement p'd me off a bit because I was foolishly hoping it had never been detected before. Plus the park was dedicated in 1917 so I thought there was the real possibility for some silver. Well I detected, and detected, and detected. Pulling out a few pennies and a ton of can slaw.

Finally at about 2:15 I hit these to Items in back to back holes. The knife was below a bunch of can slaw and a poptop about 8 inches down. The 1900 V nickel read about 4 inches down but was actually 7. For those that are going to ask, I did measure. It read as a quarter on the ACE. Oh yeah I also found a 1954D wheat.

Well hope everyone got out and had fun!

P.S. This is my oldest coin to date and I am totaly stoked now!
Eric

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 576
  • tails.jpg
    tails.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 577
  • knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
Nice Digs! Id keep hittin it hard and watch and see the old timer sniff around more. Hey maybe he will and he'll clean up more of the slaw for you !!

Congrats

HH

FB

cool finds!

HH

Yep, that pesky trash can hide a lot of goodies. Great finds IH!

HH!
TBGO

Very nice, remember NO place is completly hunted out!!

Nice finds, Congrats on a good hunt.

Congrats ...one more year to break that century barrier....joe

Thanks Everybody for looking and your replies. I learned a lot about the ACE out there today. I cant wait for the weather to break so I can go back out and clear up the can slaw and find the other good stuff.

wtg , thats cool you found your oldest date coin in a park that some one told you that nothing was there .wtg ;)

Mitch1FL said:
Very nice, remember NO place is completly hunted out!!
ditto go slow and be patiant

Spiney Norma said:
How does the 250 compare to the bounty hunter?

Honestly I like the feel of my Bounty Hunter better, but I did find my oldest coin to date with the ACE. I have larger coils on both machines so I didnt notice any depth difference. I just think it was a little bit luck with the ACE. However if the older finds keep coming with the ACE I might think differently.

Eric

PHANTOM35 said:
wtg , thats cool you found your oldest date coin in a park that some one told you that nothing was there .wtg ;)
Sure is. I jumped up and down screaming out to the world. The locals just stood on there porches looking at me and shaking there heads. Apparently they thought I was a bit strange.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back