1899 Entrance into Globe, Arizona Badge

pok8herc

Sep 20, 2013
Phoneix
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was out detecting in Downtown Phoenix AZ, and found this 1899 Entrance of Gila Valley Globe & Northern R'Y. Into Globe, Arizona. From what I can tell from research in 1899 the railway was completed, and opened in Globe AZ. What I can't find is anything on this badge. Its copper/brass, but does anyone know any details as to who would wear a badge like this. Does anyone know of any others or the value? Because I can't find information on the railway, just not this badge.

Im trying to insert a photo but I keep experiencing errors. So ill post a picture as soon as i can.

View attachment 1899 Badge2.jpg

Attachments

• 1899 Badge.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 123
Last edited:
I'm sorry everyone, I can't seem to get the photos to appear. I've posted before and am doing the same thing as I've done before, it puts up the attachment like its there but it won't open. I have a message in to the admin. Thanks for the links, and info. I've been able to find lots on the railway but the thing I want everyone to see is the badge, its really cool and unique, and of course I'm having trouble. It could be that I'm doing this from my phone so I'll do my best to get a picture up. Thanks and sorry.

View attachment 918656
View attachment 1899 Badge2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 919174
The reverse is blank. Its the shape similar to a police badge. Its roughly 2"- 2"1/2 tall and 1-1/2" wide. The top of the badge has an eagle with its wings spread out, which has what looks like two loop holes on the top where it would have been hung from. Below that looks to have a rolled up scroll with the words "entrance of". The heart of the badge is a circle with a train in the center, and around the edges it says "Gila Valley Globe & Northern R'Y". Below the train in the center it says "into - Globe Arizona". The bottom of the badge has 1899 inside a kind of crown and has a wreath type deal that extends from the crown and wraps around the heart of the badge with the train and words in the center. Hope that helps...still trying to post a picture. Hope it works soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ForumRunner_20131227_195326.png

Upvote 0
You might find this interesting:
<I>A Gila Valley, Globe & Northern mixed consist has stopped for its portrait December 1, 1898, the first train over the new line to Globe. There is a combination express and passenger car on the end. Like most Arizona short lines years ago, the railroad from Bowie to Globe and Miami offered passenger, express and general freight service in addition to its primary function transporting ore and copper. The GV,G&N eventually became part of the Southern Pacific Golden Empire, then was sold in 1988 to once again carry the Arizona Eastern name. It is currently a general carrier owned by Iowa Pacific Holdings. (colorized Arizona State University Library photo) </I>
Source:
arizona100 | an Arizona history blog | Page 4
Don.......

Upvote 0
very very interesting piece, i will advise you to contact heritageauctiongaleries.com and send them some pictures, they have experts to serach the value and history of it.

Upvote 0
Possibly part of a large medal? It doesn't have a badge # like most RR badges I've seen. It also looks like it may have hung from another section of it? -just a possibility

Upvote 0
Awesome find! :icon_thumright:

I thought it might have been issued during the celebration for the setting of the "Golden Spike" marking the completion of the line. This happened in February 1899. Here is an article about it from the Arizona Silver Belt newspaper. There is not anything conclusive in the article though...

February 16, 1899

Attachments

• globerailroad1899.jpg
    globerailroad1899.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0
Got ahold of an expert on Arizona memorabilia, and found out this was a commemorative souvenir piece. It was to commemorate the completion of the railway into globe Arizona and anyone could have bought them. Depending on the condition and the buyer they would sell today for maybe roughly $30. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back