Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recent Metal detecting find. Got some hairline scratches. Key date. Mintage of 100 000! What does anyone think the rough value of it is? Thanks! (:

image-2190294034.jpg

image-3892760087.jpg

Nice find, book values range from $125 in G4 to $900.00 in VF20

You can purchase the Charlton Catalogue of Canadian coins at most bookstores. The more recent the better and then you will have a good idea of what the value is of the coins you find. I just picked up a 2012 edition at the library for only a buck! The original price was $25. Also have an older edition of the Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Colonial Tokens. Don't even think that is published anymore, but if you see a copy at a flea market definitely pick it up! A must have!

Great looking coin:
$150 in VG-8; $300 in F-12; $550 in VF-20 and $1,200 in XF-40. (Retail values)
Source: 2013 North American Coins and Prices (David C. Harper, Editor; Krause Publications)
Don....

Great looking coin: $150 in VG-8; $300 in F-12; $550 in VF-20 and $1,200 in XF-40. (Retail values) Source: 2013 North American Coins and Prices (David C. Harper, Editor; Krause Publications) Don....
Thanks for the info. I sent some pictures to reputable coin shop and they said vf to ef but would have to take a closer look. I hope the little scratches it got from the soil when I recovered it don't hurt the value to much. Not that I would ever sell it anyway! (:

Thanks for the info. I sent some pictures to reputable coin shop and they said vf to ef but would have to take a closer look. I hope the little scratches it got from the soil when I recovered it don't hurt the value to much. Not that I would ever sell it anyway! (:

The scratches do matter, but It also has to be taken into account it's dug because if you send it away to get a professional opinion it's very likely going to be considered cleaned, or having environmental damage, and those words do not bode well for coin values. So if it were mine and it was for sale I'd clean the loose dirt off, take the best pics possible, and just put it out there and let the bidders judge it. Less will definitely be more when it comes to the description on this one. If you look at Ebay's complete listings there's a cleaned one in about the same grade that sold for $500 Ca. Your coin very well might be called cleaned but that's because they look under magnification, where as the ebay one it was very obvious, so with the added eye appeal I think you would do better... but as i said I would not have it graded, and you'd probably do a whole lot better. Depending on the many variables I think you could end up anywhere between $500-$1,000, and there's really no way someone could say exactly how much unless they have the cash in hand and are making an offer. Big numbers always get thrown around detecting forums, but it's a little different when someone is counting out the hundreds for real. I do think if listed right it would bring a pretty good number, plenty good for a dug find!

The scratches do matter, but It also has to be taken into account it's dug because if you send it away to get a professional opinion it's very likely going to be considered cleaned, or having environmental damage, and those words do not bode well for coin values. So if it were mine and it was for sale I'd clean the loose dirt off, take the best pics possible, and just put it out there and let the bidders judge it. Less will definitely be more when it comes to the description on this one. If you look at Ebay's complete listings there's a cleaned one in about the same grade that sold for $500 Ca. Your coin very well might be called cleaned but that's because they look under magnification, where as the ebay one it was very obvious, so with the added eye appeal I think you would do better... but as i said I would not have it graded, and you'd probably do a whole lot better. Depending on the many variables I think you could end up anywhere between $500-$1,000, and there's really no way someone could say exactly how much unless they have the cash in hand and are making an offer. Big numbers always get thrown around detecting forums, but it's a little different when someone is counting out the hundreds for real. I do think if listed right it would bring a pretty good number, plenty good for a dug find!
Thanks for the effort you put in to give me that information. The good news is that if it's $100 or $1000 I will never know because I'm keeping it! Haha

Thanks for the effort you put in to give me that information. The good news is that if it's $100 or $1000 I will never know because I'm keeping it! Haha

Yeah that's the thing, it doesn't really matter when you're keeping it. We'll just call it $2,000 insurance value! ;) :occasion14:

Beauty find!!! I would love to swing an MD in Nova Scotia one day!!! Major Jelly!

Did you ever post your buttons? You do know some early military buttons can be worth as much or more than that quarter.

Did you ever post your buttons? You do know some early military buttons can be worth as much or more than that quarter.
I will and hope to post more of my other random finds soon as well! (:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back