1878 Seated Dime

F

fueller

Finally broke the old coin barrier (excluding wheaties and silver roosies) this evening. I again hunted the civil war bullet site I've been at for the past week (see a post from a few days ago) but this time I strayed out of the bulldozed area and hunted in the grass close to a real estate office. No one is there after about 5 or so and I figured if I stayed close to the bulldozed area and off their back porch maybe no one would complain. I concentrated (have not done this much before) on digging only very weak signals. I am using a Minelab muskateer advantage with the stock 81/2" coil and usually end up digging some kind of small surface junk that gives off a small signal and sounds deep when I try and dig something that sounds like it's really down there. This time, however, after taking out about a 4" plug and still finding the signal in the hole, I doug out a few scoops of dirt and scanned again and there was a really dirty round something out of the ordinary. I could tell it was a small coin but waited until I got home to carefully clean it up and check. It is a holed 1878 seated dime with maybe a vf on the obverse and a g4 reverse. It has some black toning that probably will not move, and pitting on the reverse but it was a thrill finding it. I've dug up a bucket load of clad and all sorts of misc. finds looking for a very old coin and finally here it is. It came from what is supposed to be an old civil war camp and the fact that someone holed it means it was a charm or good luck token for that person a long time age. It's not in the best of shap, so I think I'll find a nice small silver chain and wear it as someone else did way back when.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back