1868 token?

Stormchaser JD

Dec 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423529085.043337.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423529113.731323.jpg

I may be able to research it better if you told what it reads. It looks like a merchants token. I think it reads " H.E. McKee** Co. Dealer in General Merchandise Fort Smith Ark
I cannot read the last name.

Upvote 0
I think your correct on the name and you are right on all the rest. It is a two piece sorta like a button. I haven't found any info on it at all. Thanks for interest.

Upvote 0
I was wrong. the full name is H. E. McKee & Co.

An excerpt from a Journal that makes mention of the store. “My old friend, Benjamin Bailey, 85 years old visited me today. We had a long talk about occurrences that happened in 1867, 1868, 1869 and 1870 when I was a boy at Fort Smith, Arkansas. He was then a young man, clerking for Capt. Hubbard Stone, formerly of Cincinnati, Ohio. He related how he made his first money on the side buying 4 cases of bacon from H. E. McKee & Co., for $10.00 per case on account of skippers being on the bacon. By dipping it in hot water and packing back in salt he sold it for 25c per pound, and made $1000.00 in the deal.”

Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 10, No. 1
March, 1932
EVENTS AMONG THE MUSKOGEES DURING SIXTY YEARS
By C. W. Turner

Also of note: H. E. McKee was a principal stock holder in the Little Rock, Arkansas Valley, Fort Smith Railroad Company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stormchaser, i searched the token database zip, and a google img search
if you want to you can add yours

Contribuitions are encouraged for anyone interested in sharing information; one token or a thousand, all are welcome.
Contribute Instructions

Upvote 0
Sentrom, thanks for the history. This token may have actually came from the bacon hauler in this story considering I found this in Muskogee.

Upvote 0
SC - My first impression of this piece is that it is a Shell Card, which was a series of what in today's world would be a paper business card. One side was rather in imitation of $20 gold pieces or silver dollars of the day and the other side advertised the business that gave them to customers and others. The thought was that being somewhat like a coin, they would be kept as pocket pieces. They were made of thin sheets of brass, stamped with the info, then crimped together. Would you mind if I'd share your photos with an expert in the field?
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Please do ! I've never heard of a shell card. That's cool and something for me to research. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
good info,shell cards had never heard of them b4, the mica window with card
must be why called shell card?

[h=3]The Token And Medal Society GUIDE TO U.S. SHELL CARDS 1867 - 1880[/h][h=3]By Q. David Bowers
Coin-sized in diameter, these pocket-piece advertising tchotchkes often had coin-like designs, a feature that made them eye-catching and popular. They were constructed so that a business’s advertisement was either embossed on one side or inserted, in print, a few under a thin mica window.[/h]http://www.numismatistsofwisconsin.com/bookreview-02.html

Upvote 0
Many of these shell cards used one piece of embossed brass crimped around a printed cardboard piece with the name, etc. of the issuer. Others crimped one piece of embossed brass around a mirror. This one and many others crimped two pieces of embossed brass together. This latter type usually had advertising on one side and an imitation of a $20 gold piece or a silver dollar. Pieces of a somewhat similar ilk, called "encased postage stamps", used a mica window, behind which was a small-denomination postage stamp, combined with a printed advertisement. They are a whole different series.

The recently-published book by Q. David Bowers (as referred to in the previous post) is the first real "catalog" of Shell Cards. It lists two from Arkansas, but not this one. I just heard back from Bowers who agrees that this is indeed a shell card. He is putting the info in a file for when the book has a second edition.

As an aside, I was president of the Token and Medal Society when we were given the opportunity to partner with Dave Bowers on this book. Most of us in TAMS had never seen a shell card in person - in fact I don't think I have to this day. There were only a few collectors of this series, but we felt that if the book was available then more collector interest would be aroused. I think that came to be true if selling prices on eBay and other auctions are any indication. What were $75 or $100 pieces suddenly started selling for $200 or more. That, keep in mind, is for ones in nice condition and from the less-common issuers. This one is from a "tough" state, but its condition really lowers the value.

Stormchaser JD - it would sure be nice to get better photos so the $20 gold piece side could be positively identified. Bowers' book has half a dozen varieties.

John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
SC - My first impression of this piece is that it is a Shell Card, which was a series of what in today's world would be a paper business card. One side was rather in imitation of $20 gold pieces or silver dollars of the day and the other side advertised the business that gave them to customers and others. The thought was that being somewhat like a coin, they would be kept as pocket pieces. They were made of thin sheets of brass, stamped with the info, then crimped together. Would you mind if I'd share your photos with an expert in the field?
John in the Great 208

In "Arkansas Merchant Tokens" by Tom Robinson (TAMS, 1985), it is indeed listed as a shell card. The legend is given as H. E. MCKEE & CO. / WHOLESALE / DEALERS IN / GENERAL MERCHANDISE / FORT SMITH, ARK. (Liberty Head depicted) / 1868. Robinson added that this merchant was known to be in business as early as 1870. It is listed as AF-X Rd Br 36 (Round Brass, 36 mm.) Robinson listed it as Rarity 10 (1-2 known, by his scale.) I know that many of his rarity ratings have been revised, but still likely a very rare piece.

Upvote 0
That's why this site is so great! Guys like y'll . Thank you very much for the info!

Upvote 0
Born2 - good catch! I didn't even think to look in Robinson's AR Book. Evidently Bowers didn't either!
John

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back