✅ SOLVED 1865 coin/token?

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Towards the end of an underwhelming hunt on Saturday morning, this was my last signal (clean upper-70s signal on AT Pro, if I recall). Appeared to be a coin initially, but zero detail was visible. I gave it some toothbrush/soap/water, then 48 hours (so far) in olive oil, and I was shocked to see "65" and what looks like part of an "8" to the left of the 6 where a date would be.

Site: North Shore of L.I. New York, close to where I found an 1848 LC two weeks ago.

Diameter is 23.08 mm to 23.50 mm depending on where I put the calipers. Pre-clean mass was 6.05g, now (after cleaning) it's 5.77g.

The split picture (left) has the date on the bottom and the coin flipped vertically to see the reverse oriented properly (right). Definitely needs more time to soak-- but any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 76
Yeah, I don't think it's a U.S. Coin either (the closest in diameter would be the half cent, which this clearly isn't). The degree of the "toastiness" of this is similar to a foreign coin I recovered from the 1820s. It was really hard to get an I.D. then, too.

[edit: I obviously forgot to consider two-cent pieces] :laughing9:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A two-cent would be great, I've just never found a U.S. Coin (yet) that didn't have some degree of detail visible at this point in the cleaning process (other than the date, in this case). I'll post more pictures if I can get any better detail.

If anyone knows the VDI on the AT Pro for a two-cent, that would help too.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back