1865 2 Cent Piece

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Have been real busy as of late opening up my own business so have not had a chance to go with my new E Trac in a couple of months but my first time back was a good one. Detected an 1850s house today and found the usual junk and clad but i did find my first 2 cent piece and a couple wheats. Its an 1865 and seems to be in good shape but Im not sure of the best way to clean the dirt off of it.

Attachments

• 20140804_174452.jpg
    20140804_174452.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • 20140804_174515.jpg
    20140804_174515.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
Upvote 7
Looks like its a good candidate for a peroxide bath...Start with soap and water and a toothbrush. .That mite be good enough.
George

Sweet. Still on my list awesome coin out of curosity what was vdi on it?

Pic is small, but doesn't look like it needs much in the way of cleaning.

Cool coin, I was lucky enough to find in my first or second year, but badly worn '64, since then I kind of keep track of the ones found, and posted on here.

those 2 centers are just plain ole cool, congrats

Nice digs . Thanks for the pics

I have noticed when I give my wheats a hot peroxide bath it turns them kinda black, I dont want to do that to this coin any other suggestions on how to clean it?

I have noticed when I give my wheats a hot peroxide bath it turns them kinda black, I dont want to do that to this coin any other suggestions on how to clean it?

My suggestion? I would pretty much leave it alone. Right now, you can read most of the detail. Anything further and you might loose some of the ones that are based on years and years of corrosion. I'm all for cleaning a coin up if it looks like it would take to a cleaning. This one is a pretty good candidate but, I'd err on the safe side. Do some minor cleaning then just seal it up and display it proudly!

That baby is in great shape, If I'd found it I would do like Vino suggested, soap, water, light brushing, then a mineral oil bath for awhile, (month or two) Then take it out, pat dry and put it in a holder.
Nice find, just what I would do, doesn't mean I'm right, someone else is wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back