1864 Stonewall Jackson Medal

Shooter204

Aug 8, 2007
Central Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Classic
I just wanted to show a neat Civil War item that was in a box of items purchased
At an estate sale several years ago. I got it out yesterday to try and do little research
On it. This has a leather case and on one side says Col H. B. Davenport Virginia Sept.
1880 the other side has from Winfield Peters. I have been trying to get info from The Numismatist website but it doesn’t go back to 1995. Well it may not be as rare now because I have one also.

Shooter204

The info below is from a one site.

1864 Stonewall Jackson Medal. White Metal. 50 mm. Extremely rare according to an illustrated article from The Numismatist (9/95), with the only other known specimen mentioned being in the ANA museum in Colorado Springs.
Designed and struck in France by artist and engraver Auguste Caque with no apparent likeness at hand of General Jackson. The portrait faces left on the obverse and is surrounded at the margins by Jackson's title, name, birth, and death dates (his birth date is incorrectly engraved as 1821 when it was actually 1824). The reverse lists the many battles in which the "Stonewall Brigade" was engaged against Union forces. Allegedly a hoard of these medals was recovered in 1894 from a warehouse in Savannah where they had been buried in the closing days of the Civil War. They were available through the mail for $1 apiece from the Ladies Auxiliary of the Confederate Veterans Association. Numerous small abrasions are scattered over each side and there are several darker areas of corrosion around the rim on the reverse. The Jackson medal is undoubtedly one of the most interesting numismatic creations that was produced as a result of the Civil War.

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 963
Upvote 0
Awesome Find.....Any value to it yet?Thank's for Sharing...

Contact the ANA and ask them for information on value.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back