Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

My friend found this about a month ago - it's pretty toasted but he (and I) are curious as to what the value this variety would be? I have seen some with the same reverse (Miller & Co. Queenware & Glassware Near Post Office Wooster O.) online but not with this obverse. Thanks in advance.....

CWT2.jpgCWT1.jpg

The convention used in Bowers' new Civil War Tokens book is that the obverse is the side with the merchant name. This obverse is known to be paired with nine different reverse dies. Yours appears to be either reverse die 1124 (13 border stars) or 1127 (14 border stars). Bower shows valuations of $30-45 in VF-EF condition. I am not at all familiar with the market in Civil War tokens, so about all I can guess is that in this condition, yours would be valued at under $30. Tokens in general do not have the same well-established marketplace (and therefore "catalog value") as do coins. It is the law of supply and demand. If you take a 1863 Cent, for instance, you can establish a current value for a particular grade and buy or sell them all day within a pretty narrow price range. Right now there are almost 800 lots on eBay containing 1863 Cent in the title in the U. S. Coin category. On the other hand, a CW token like yours is far more rare (fewer were made) but there are fewer collectors and dealers so there are not enough documented examples of actual sales to establish a "catalog value".
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back