Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Interesting finds here on the cape this past week. Two over grown areas pretty close together. Slow detecting but looks like more finds will be coming. Items of note are the Brass name plaque I thought was unusual. Maybe for a chest? Wm. Lilsby of Hull. ( I think that's what it says) Did find a Wm. Lisby in NH 1864 Civil War records. But not much else. Large pewter Horse tack rosette found next to a trail. Very shiny for pewter, looks quite old on the back. Very decent looking 1890 V Nickel. Only the second one I have found. First one was toast. Silver (20%) French Guiana 2 Sols dated 1782. Was found bent in half. Was able to slowly flatten. Has holes, maybe used as a button or just damage? Admiral Dewey token in nice shape. Flat sterling silver plaque of some sort. Quite thin, no maker stamp. No idea what it was used for?? Cool Dandy button with a very unusual design. A very heavy brass key plate for a 2 bit skeleton key. Must have been inlaid, no holes to attach. Other small key plate was close by. Two old pocket watches that have seen better days. Small round copper coin like circle with deep punch mark? Last a late 1700 early 1800 shoe buckle. Many thanks for looking!

Attachments

• may finds.jpg
    may finds.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 104
  • dandy button design.jpg
    dandy button design.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 58
  • silver plate back.jpg
    silver plate back.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 49
  • silver plaque.jpg
    silver plaque.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 54
  • kirkmans back.jpg
    kirkmans back.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 57
  • kirkmans front.jpg
    kirkmans front.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 58
  • 1782  2 sols french back.jpg
    1782 2 sols french back.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1782 2 sols french face.jpg
    1782 2 sols french face.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 58
  • V nickel back.jpg
    V nickel back.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 61
  • V nickel face.jpg
    V nickel face.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 58
  • rossetta back.jpg
    rossetta back.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 61
  • pewter rossetta.jpg
    pewter rossetta.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • name plaque 1849.jpg
    name plaque 1849.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 28
Interesting finds.

The plaque is inscribed in 'copperplate' script, and I think the first letter of the surname most resembles an 'S'... in which case it would be 'William Silsby'.

Copperplate.jpg

I assume the 'Hull' referred to is the one in Massachusetts. 'Findagrave' didn't throw up anything promising with an obvious Massachusetts connection. There was a William H. Silsby born and buried in the state, but he wasn't born until 1853.

If one considers the 1849 date only and the likelihood that the person referred to was an adult at that time, there's only one name in those grave records that fits... Lieutenant Colonel William Hayes Silsby (1822-1901), but how you would go about verifying that with so little to go on, I don't know.

If it is him, he would only have been 27 or 28 years old in 1849, so wouldn't yet have had a sufficiently long military career that saw him promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Last edited:
Interesting finds.

The plaque is inscribed in 'copperplate' script, and I think the first letter of the surname most resembles an 'S'... in which case it would be 'William Silsby'.

View attachment 2083327

I assume the 'Hull' referred to is the one in Massachusetts. 'Findagrave' didn't throw up anything promising with an obvious Massachusetts connection. There was a William H. Silsby born and buried in the state, but he wasn't born until 1853.

If one considers the 1849 date only and the likelihood that the person referred to was an adult at that time, there's only one name in those grave records that fits... Lieutenant Colonel William Hayes Silsby (1822-1901), but how you would go about verifying that with so little to go on, I don't know.

If it is him, he would only have been 27 or 28 years old in 1849, so wouldn't yet have had a sufficiently long military career that saw him promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Wow, thanks so much for the help looking up this gentlemen! I found he was born in Pennsylvania Aug. 1822. His Father was born in NH. So there may have been family still there that might bring him a lot closer to MA. Hull, MA is just a day sail from NH coast. Plaque found here on Cape Cod is even closer to Hull.

Last edited:
Interesting finds.

View attachment 2083327

You would have to check the census records for Hull, or the resident lists, Hull historical society should have copies.

Some Interesting finds here on the cape this past week. Two over grown areas pretty close together. Slow detecting but looks like more finds will be coming. Items of note are the Brass name plaque I thought was unusual. Maybe for a chest? Wm. Lilsby of Hull. ( I think that's what it says) Did find a Wm. Lisby in NH 1864 Civil War records. But not much else. Large pewter Horse tack rosette found next to a trail. Very shiny for pewter, looks quite old on the back. Very decent looking 1890 V Nickel. Only the second one I have found. First one was toast. Silver (20%) French Guiana 2 Sols dated 1782. Was found bent in half. Was able to slowly flatten. Has holes, maybe used as a button or just damage? Admiral Dewey token in nice shape. Flat sterling silver plaque of some sort. Quite thin, no maker stamp. No idea what it was used for?? Cool Dandy button with a very unusual design. A very heavy brass key plate for a 2 bit skeleton key. Must have been inlaid, no holes to attach. Other small key plate was close by. Two old pocket watches that have seen better days. Small round copper coin like circle with deep punch mark? Last a late 1700 early 1800 shoe buckle. Many thanks for looking!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Awesome finds, love that plate! Used to take an LCM out to Ft. Warren from Hull when I was a CW re-enactor.

Great stuff, congrats

Congrats on the nice finds. Very interesting post and feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back