1838 US Half Dime, Pre-Civil War US Naval Officer Button

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting in the woods today for 6 hours. A comfortable 40 degrees. Found my first US half dime at 7 inches depth. It's actually in great condition. The dies for this coin were not all that sharp to begin with. Looking at the PCGS website, I believe this is small star variety which according to their population, is ten times rarer than the large star. The US Naval Officer's button is a Robinson. It was about 20 yards from the half dime. I believe the other domed button is also a military issue but it's difficult to read. I was surprised to find it over 10" deep.

I run my Manticore at 32 sens but otherwise use factory settings in the General mode. I really like this detector. My last three recent coins have been 1742, 1760, and this 1838. I think it not only goes deep. It is also good at picking up targets in general.

Attachments

• hd1.jpg
    hd1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 78
  • hd2.jpg
    hd2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 62
  • nb1.jpg
    nb1.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 60
  • nb2.jpg
    nb2.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 36
Congrats for knocking that little beauty off the bucket list!! I agree 100% with your assessment of the Manticore.

Nice looking seated half. Love the buttons too!

Got out detecting in the woods today for 6 hours. A comfortable 40 degrees. Found my first US half dime at 7 inches depth. It's actually in great condition. The dies for this coin were not all that sharp to begin with. Looking at the PCGS website, I believe this is small star variety which according to their population, is ten times rarer than the large star. The US Naval Officer's button is a Robinson. It was about 20 yards from the half dime. I believe the other domed button is also a military issue but it's difficult to read. I was surprised to find it over 10" deep.

I run my Manticore at 32 sens but otherwise use factory settings in the General mode. I really like this detector. My last three recent coins have been 1742, 1760, and this 1838. I think it not only goes deep. It is also good at picking up targets in general.
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Ok...2for for you, great couple of finds and another grats on cleaning and presentation pics! Good all-around post!

Congrats on the great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back