1834 large cent help

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this is in wrong place but I was wondering what variety of the 1834 I have. I posted in the today's finds with 2 large cents and a Canadian half penny. I cleaned the coins after I got home tonite and the 1834 cleaned up great. Doesn't look to have been used much. I've researched this coin since there are some varieties of this year. Here is a pic of it cleaned up any help would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417322125.903790.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417322164.100264.jpg

Yours appears to be large stars, large 8 (I think) and I'd need a magnifying glass and the coin to tell if the reverse was large or medium letters. It's usually pretty hard to tell the sub-types without magnification and two coins side-by-side. The differences are pretty slight.

Upvote 0
Medium letter according to my research

Upvote 0
There are seven varieties for 1834 and varieties are identified by Newcomb numbers, yours is a Newcomb 2, easily identifiable by the leaf next to the letter D in UNITED being located past the letter D, the only one of seven that is aligned as such..... http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/1834n2.jpg Rarity 1 Very Common

Upvote 0
Awesome thanks for help. Not as rare as I hoped but 180 year old coin tells me I'm on a great site. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back