1819 Large cent!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the city park today, nice cool morning. Doing well, easy to dig when the weather is just right and the bugs aren't too bad...Day started off with a square nail, which is always a good sign. This park is old, old, old so you just never know what's down there. Pulled a couple of wheaties and some recent junk jewelry, that's good too. But the day just wouldn't end. 1882 indian...very worn but a great find by itself.

Then I got the sweet "quarter" ID, not overly deep, but not on the surface like other clad change I had been finding. When the dark coin popped out, my first thought was to big to be a quarter, maybe "SBA", but when I wiped off the dirt I fell on my ass. I could see that huge wreath and "one cent" in the middle. It was the very LAST thing I expected to see in a place I know has been worked to death!

Just goes to show,

ALWAYS something good left behind.

Attachments

• 1819.jpg
    1819.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0
Very nice Matron Head Large Cent! I am amazed that it shows so little porosity for being in the ground. That is truly a great find....Congrats :hello2:

goldcoastwayne

wtg on Lc. And welcome to tnet :icon_thumright:

Nice copper! Welcome to Tnet!

Good find and in great shape :icon_thumleft: yup just goes to show you old parks pop up the strangest things Welcome to T-Net .Dd60

Congrats on the finds and welcome to TNET! For me it is so exciting to find a coin as old as the one you have found (1819), and know that the area you are searching has the POTENTIAL to have similar goodies nearby. That coin is in very good condition, so it was not in circulation very long when it was lost. No doubt this site has the potential for additional finds that date back into the 1700s. Good luck and keep up posted! Steve

Thanks everybody!

goldcoastwayne said:
Very nice Matron Head Large Cent! I am amazed that it shows so little porosity for being in the ground. That is truly a great find....Congrats :hello2:

goldcoastwayne

pic doesn't show it well, but the surface is finely pitted. the ground around here is all sand, which is usually very kind to copper.

I think the trick on this coin is to NOT clean all the dirt off. even a good scrubbing with pure water would change the character, make this coin look dark, flat and hard to read.

I also fell to my knees when I pulled my 1819 large cent out of the ground. Mine actually appeared to have been minted the day before I found it. Found in very sandy soil, 5 inches down....before I could get it home it was almost unreadable, broke my heart

Good find. Just because a site has been "worked to death," doesn't mean somthing wasn't missed. Keep on swinging.

You gotta love hunting the parks, never know what you'll find.
Congrats and welcome to TNET

Nice find!
I expected to see an unrecognizable glob but was I surprised.... That's a beauty!
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back