Minelab Equinox
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro-Pointer
White's Surfmaster Pro PI
Tesoro Cibola
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday at an old plantation site in South Carolina. A few internet sites have ID'd this cuff as a 1808-1820's South Carolina State Militia Rifles button and a few have said it's a Militia button that has nothing to do with South Carolina. This is where my research abruptly ends. Were these buttons used by other state militias? Were they only given to South Carolina militia members? I know the "Hunting Horn" signifies rifles or rifle regiments. The backmark just says Double Gilt. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find more information or does anyone know the history of this button? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Militia Cuff Button.png
    Militia Cuff Button.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 92
That's a cool button.
Congrats...
Is it a one piece?
Can we see the back??
Just questions to maybe help others that really know buttons ID yours.

Upvote 0
Sorry I can't be of any help with the true ID of this button, but it is one cool looking button for sure. I need to get a button book. Someone will be along shortly that will help with this. Congrat's on a great looking button.

Upvote 0
That’s a great button save. Congratulations. Lots of people on here can ID that for you.

Upvote 0
I'm not finding it, SilverTone. I suspect it's a civilian design. Hopefully someone will ID it.

Upvote 0
Militia Cuff Back.png
It just says Double Gilt.

Upvote 0
It was found about 20 feet away from this Naval Cuff and an 1824 Capped Bust Dime.Naval Cuff.png

Attachments

• Militia Cuff Back.png
    Militia Cuff Back.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
SilverTone
Nice looking button and a good find.
I can`t find that button in Tice`s book South Carolina section "Uniform Buttons Of The United States 1776-1865".
I`ll keep looking .
Gary

Upvote 0
SilverTone
Nice looking button and a good find.
I can`t find that button in Tice`s book South Carolina section "Uniform Buttons Of The United States 1776-1865".
I`ll keep looking .
Gary

I didn't see it in Tice's or Albert's book but I did find it on George Washington Inaugural Buttons but this is one of the sites that said it was a South Carolina State Militia Rifles button. I don't even know where else to look....

Upvote 0
Silvertone,
Thank you for the additional pictures.
I'm sure they help.
Unfortunately all I know about buttons I get from this forum.
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I didn't see it in Tice's or Albert's book but I did find it on George Washington Inaugural Buttons but this is one of the sites that said it was a South Carolina State Militia Rifles button. I don't even know where else to look....

Here is a side-by-side comparison of that button with yours on the right. It's close, but not identical.

May I suggest that you email your photos and the button measurements to William Leigh. His email address can be found on his website here: http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/order

Attachments

• tempsidebyside.jpg
    tempsidebyside.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a pretty close match on the buttons.

Upvote 0
Don't leave us hanging .. Let us know what you find out!

Upvote 0
I will and I've emailed several of the bigger button collectors that have those buy/sell websites for relics asking for identification. Haven't heard back yet though. My digging buddy found the same button a few miles away from where I found mine and those are the only two examples of these I can find. Usually I can google a description of the button and it'll pop up. There's nothing on this button at all though.

Upvote 0
Interesting find.

Even if it's civilian, I love it.

Upvote 0
The horn means infantry I think. Beautiful button.

Upvote 0
None. I emailed a half dozen places asking about it and nobody has the identification for it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back