SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last day of my vacation I decided to do some detecting on the drive on beach in Corolla NC. I found about 76 cents in quarters and a zinc penny, many Corona and other beer caps and a lot of beercans. I went way up near the VA line. I had my Tesoro set to all metal cause I did not want to pass anything up. I got a good strong signal and started to dig! At about 20 inches I saw a rusty piece of iron, I dug a little more and it looked like the top of an old rail road spike. I got my hand around it and tried pulling it out but it would not budge. I dug down a little more and saw wood. I found the edges and started working my way down the long side.
I thought for a minute that it may have been a telephone pole. After about 15 minutes of digging I had all sides clear and tried to lift it out of the hole. That piece of wood must weigh about 50 pounds. I could barely get it out. By the time I did get it out, there were a few interested spectators watching. One guy was pretty excited about my find, he said he used to be a volunteer at the Graveyard of the Atlantic museum in Hatteras. He told me that by the looks of the iron spikes in the wood that I had probably found a piece of a late 1800's - early 1900's shipwreck. I did not have a camera with me but I took some pictures when I got the piece home. The wagon is 39in.L x 23in.W

Attachments

• timber1.jpg
    timber1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,663
  • timber2.jpg
    timber2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,758
  • timber3.jpg
    timber3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,656
  • timber4.jpg
    timber4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,739
  • timber6.jpg
    timber6.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,687
Upvote 0
Congrats on the find. I love that strip of beach...found a early 1700s Spanish Cob back in April on that beach.

NJ

That Beach is only about 20 minutes from my house. There's an old ship wreck that floats on and off the beach right there at the VA/NC line. I've found some nice stuff down there as well. Congrats on the find. If I were you I'd try to strip as much rust off the iron spike that i could and then seal it and keep the whole thing indoors with your collection :icon_thumleft: :wink:

kdn502 said:
Cool piece of history!! It's always amazing to see what comes out of the sand in OBX... Never go there without my Tesoro :laughing7:

possibly a piece of an old vessel discovered earlier this summer
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/05/oldest.shipwreck/index.html

Nope, I saw that one at the Graveyard of the atlantic museum down in Hatteras, they dated that one to the 1600's.

{Sentinel} said:
That Beach is only about 20 minutes from my house. There's an old ship wreck that floats on and off the beach right there at the VA/NC line. I've found some nice stuff down there as well. Congrats on the find. If I were you I'd try to strip as much rust off the iron spike that i could and then seal it and keep the whole thing indoors with your collection :icon_thumleft: :wink:

I didn't realize you were that close to the area. Next time I'm down at Corolla I'll let you know. Maybe we can meet up for a hunt if your up for it.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back