1798 Large cent and a strange piece of lead.

kmk

Feb 4, 2016
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and APEX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday evening at the field across from my house, I took my Apex with my new Ripper coil to test it out. I have been all over this field for years with my AT Pro find all kinds of coins and cool things and thought I need to try my Apex to get more versed in Multi Frequency detecting.

I wasn't out long before I found what I thought was a dandee button, until I got home and went to clean the green corrosion off and discovered it was a coin. I then found a lead piece, that looks like it may have been a cover or a cap for a container. The coin like all my other coppers I find, I coat them with olive oil to stop the corrosion process after I clean them and dry them.

Attachments

• 20240808_100209.jpg
    20240808_100209.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 20240808_100206.jpg
    20240808_100206.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20240808_100056.jpg
    20240808_100056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240808_100247.jpg
    20240808_100247.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 20240808_100310.jpg
    20240808_100310.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
Upvote 27
Yesterday evening at the field across from my house, I took my Apex with my new Ripper coil to test it out. I have been all over this field for years with my AT Pro find all kinds of coins and cool things and thought I need to try my Apex to get more versed in Multi Frequency detecting.

I wasn't out long before I found what I thought was a dandee button, until I got home and went to clean the green corrosion off and discovered it was a coin. I then found a lead piece, that looks like it may have been a cover or a cap for a container. The coin like all my other coppers I find, I coat them with olive oil to stop the corrosion process after I clean them and dry them.
Congratulations on the draped bust, Nice time frame.

great save for sure

I have read that mineral oil may be a better alternative to olive oil, as the olive oil is organic and contains fat which can putrefy (rot or decay).

I have read that mineral oil may be a better alternative to olive oil, as the olive oil is organic and contains fat which can putrefy (rot or decay).
Ok, cool I will use that going forward. Thank you very much!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back