1795 Liberty Cap Large Cent "Cleaned"

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
1795 Liberty Cap Large Cent "Cleaned"

As many of you know, finding the early copper coins present a dilemma - to clean or not to clean. Whether soaking in olive oil or simply cleaning them with soap and water and a soft brush, many times you lose some details that were visible on the coin when it came out of the ground. It seems that the years of dirt built up on the coin highlight some details, which is then many times lost when you clean the coin. Anyway, I soaked the large cent in olive oil for a couple of days, and though the coin does look better, it is now a little harder to read the date. Though, I am extremely happy and grateful that the date is still visible. The reverse is a different story, even in the best of lighting conditions, the most you can see is part of the wreath, part of the ribbon above the 1/100, and some letters.

Attachments

• libertycap.jpg
    libertycap.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 437
  • liberty2.jpg
    liberty2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
Re: 1795 Liberty Cap Large Cent "Cleaned"

That is still one heck of a find!

Nice find no matter!

HH

Lonewolfe

nice coin! i know what you mean. the more you fool with it the worse it gets. this one looks to have a good amount of corrosion , so leaving it alone is best.

BookFisher that is a great find. I would invite you to Read the thread by conservator called "Feel free to ask a Concservator". He has some good information and you will find it a good thread. always clean in moderation and slowly.Once again congratulations on a historic Piece.Here is the link to his thread.HH

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,16766.0.html

I haven't really tried the olive oil thing except for a couple of clad pennies I am experimenting with. They were pretty much cookie coins and after two months in olive oil I can't tell the difference. I'm using extra virgin olive oil, so maybe the type makes a difference? Next time I'll look for extra slutty and maybe it will help? ;) JIM

What a great find, no matter what the condition half the ones i find you cant read the date

It looks fantastic. Just think what you would look like if you had been burried for 210 years....Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back