1766 Galveston,Texas Wreck

wwhitewood

Feb 12, 2005
Southeast Texas
Hello to all,
I'm a long time diver with an interest in metal detecting and shipwreck exploration. I've volunteered with the Texas Historical Commission on a couple of searches in the Sabine Pass area for Civil War wrecks. My current research,for the past several years,has been about a Spanish merchantman wrecked in the hurricane of 1766 along the Texas coast near Galveston. I've acquired a volume of temporary accounts of the wreck from the Archivo General De Indias which I and another interpreter have translated.I've also shared these documents with the Texas Historical Commissions' only shipwreck archaeologist,Steve Hoyt.
Texas law states that any historical shipwreck in state waters belongs to the state.However they do not have the time or resources to investigate every shipwreck.They depend heavily on volunteers to do much of the searching and then be notified of any significant finds.
To my knowledge the wreck I've been researching has never been fully explored,with the possible exception of some clandestine divers finding about 20,000 silver pesos in the 70's. The wreck is near the coast and probably mostly buried. Another ship wrecked with the same convoy,El Nuevo Constante,however was found and partly excavated in the 80's along the Louisiana coast.The book"Last Voyage of El Nuevo Constante" LSU Press,describes the discovery and excavation of the ship and mentions the other ship wrecked on the Texas coast,El Corazon De Jesus Y Santa Barbara,aka La Caraquena.
My interest is to "hook up" with someone in the Galveston area with a boat and the time to search for this wreck.I sold my boat a couple years ago but have the means and the time to perform a search with any interested partners.
Texas law prohibits any plundering but this seems to be a good prospect for some fame if not fortune.I would be glad to share more info.with any serious inquiries.
Thanks and Good Hunting,Wade Whitewood

Wade, It sounds like you as well as the state are wanting something for nothing! Its hard to get anyone to climb abourd a dead horse. Let the ships rot on the bottom till the state wises up and will give the investor the some deal it gives the oil companies to explore the treasures of the state. untill then let the state have 100% of nothing. Monk

While Texas law prohibits treasure salvage in state waters,there are numerous maritime lawyers in the area who would contest this on behalf of the individuals right to be reimbursed for time and expense..as well as some profit.It's a sad state of affairs for the state because many finds are probably not reported.
W.

Wade I have just returned from East Africa (Sorry Hi all, I will be returning emails shortly) and am setting up in Rockport Texas for a few projects. My equipment will be arriving about Mid May.As a rule, although I am not clandestine I have reservations about talking to, let alone working with any persons affiliated or linked to "organizations"
Lets just say I am still waiting to have a mutually beneficial undertaking with the said.
However I am always willing to meet up and "see whats what" I must warn you that I may be slightly more financially driven in my motives than you would care for but I feel that laying it down up front reduces time wasting.

Feel free to contact me
Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back