✅ SOLVED 1742 square uniface coin?

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, this coin dealer's junk box find has me stumped. It is slightly trapezoidal 19mm high, 19mm wide at the bottom and 17.5mm wide at the top. Can't tell what it is made of, but it is non-magnetic and is fairly heavy like potmetal would be. The inscription is worn in the upper right, but appears to read: CAMBV SEANG / M[SUB]C[/SUB] / W.MC / 1742

The subscript letter may be an o rather than a c. The reverse is blank

I have seen lettering like this on modern pieces from "renaissance faires", but don't think this is one as it is not as crudely done.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

John in the Great 208

Attachments

• MVC-046F.JPG
    MVC-046F.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 119
No idea........ but can't wait to find out from one of our research gurus.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
I'll bet you are onto something, Relic! William M'Culloch preaching in the Presbyterian Church of Cambuslang had a great revival in 1742:
Forget None of His Benefits: William M'Culloch of Cambuslang, 1742

Upon reflection this piece is similar in appearance (but not shape) to a few Scottish communion tokens I have. I will have to see if this one is listed in the publication on them - if I can figure out what the name of it is.

Communion tokens were passes given to those who were allowed to take communion in a particular church. There was a lot of religious conflict in Scotland during this period, and the tokens were used to keep the wrong people out of the service.

More to follow...
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
wow i'm from Scotland!

Upvote 0
RelicHunter nailed it! Thank you!

I just borrowed a copy of the book Communion Tokens of the World by Lester Burzinski and this piece is listed as #1229 from Cambusland, Lanarkshire, Scotland. The composition is shown as White Metal. Per the author, this particular piece is also listed as #153 in the listing in the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland by A. J. S. Brook entitled Communion Tokens of the Established Church of Scotland, 16th, 17th & 18th Centuries published in 1906-07 and in the book Comprehensive Directory of World Communion Tokens by O. D. Cresswell, published in 1985.

John in the Great 208

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back