1700s Chinese cash coin

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug my first Chinese coin this past weekend in an old former farm field. I believe this is a one cash coin of Qianlong, who was Emperor in China during the Qing Dynasty. While the coin is not dated, it is likely from 1735-1796, which is when Qianlong reigned. Although an interesting coin, I definitely prefer coins that feature dates, portraits, or other designs. I am not sure how this coin ended up here in Massachusetts. Perhaps it was a dropped pocket piece? Maybe it came off a bracelet or necklace? People sometimes incorporated these coins into clothing or jewelry, as shown in this circa 1910 photo of a Native American woman (see headdress), so I suppose that is possible. Anyway, I was real glad to find it, as I was otherwise skunked except for a couple harness buckles and a wheat penny. Happy hunting!
1E3D65D8-D825-4F1A-B8B0-83B7C62F8E1B.jpeg
BCEECA37-D383-47EE-A6F1-9EF0EBAB6241.jpeg
9FEAA767-1A67-4A2D-8F18-A9CED92B2AE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 17
Great find !

Here's another photo of Chinese Cash Coins that were used to decorate Sewing Baskets.
Popular in the 1930's - 1950's era.

Attachments

• Chinese Coins On Sewing Basket .jpg
    Chinese Coins On Sewing Basket .jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
I dug my first Chinese coin this past weekend in an old former farm field. I believe this is a one cash coin of Qianlong, who was Emperor in China during the Qing Dynasty. While the coin is not dated, it is likely from 1735-1796, which is when Qianlong reigned. Although an interesting coin, I definitely prefer coins that feature dates, portraits, or other designs. I am not sure how this coin ended up here in Massachusetts. Perhaps it was a dropped pocket piece? Maybe it came off a bracelet or necklace? People sometimes incorporated these coins into clothing or jewelry, as shown in this circa 1910 photo of a Native American woman (see head dress), so I suppose that is possible. Anyway, I was real glad to find it, as I was otherwise skunked except for a couple harness buckles and a wheat penny. Happy hunting! View attachment 2062988View attachment 2062989View attachment 2062990
Very Cool!!! I just found the same one Jan 1st!! Congrats !!! Love finding these😁
1672894808931.jpeg

1672894835811.jpeg

Great find !

Here's another photo of Chinese Cash Coins that were used to decorate Sewing Baskets.
Popular in the 1930's - 1950's era.
Thanks for the comment and photo. I like seeing the different ways this coin has been utilized, as it adds to its interest.

Very Cool!!! I just found the same one Jan 1st!! Congrats !!! Love finding these😁
View attachment 2063034
View attachment 2063035
Thanks! I actually used your post and a couple others to identify my coin. There seems to have been a number of these found recently, including a cache that got the banner/golden thread. Yours has some sharp detail on the characters; very nice.

I dug my first Chinese coin this past weekend in an old former farm field. I believe this is a one cash coin of Qianlong, who was Emperor in China during the Qing Dynasty. While the coin is not dated, it is likely from 1735-1796, which is when Qianlong reigned. Although an interesting coin, I definitely prefer coins that feature dates, portraits, or other designs. I am not sure how this coin ended up here in Massachusetts. Perhaps it was a dropped pocket piece? Maybe it came off a bracelet or necklace? People sometimes incorporated these coins into clothing or jewelry, as shown in this circa 1910 photo of a Native American woman (see head dress), so I suppose that is possible. Anyway, I was real glad to find it, as I was otherwise skunked except for a couple harness buckles and a wheat penny. Happy hunting! View attachment 2062988View attachment 2062989View attachment 2062990
Sweet find…!
How it was lost, you’ll never know, but your assumption might be right.
I have found one on a ranch that had one Chinese employee, as family photo collection showed him working on a ditch. He likely prized the coin as a reminder of his home, his heritage…!
Cool, huh?

Sweet find…!
I have found one on a ranch that had one Chinese employee, as family photo collection showed him working on a ditch. He likely prized the coin as a reminder of his home, his heritage…!
Cool, huh?
Here is the website that I have used to identify those coins Lots of pictures drawings and info.

Sweet find…!
Cool, huh?
Thanks! And yes, that is definitely a cool situation you had … a reminder of home.

Here is the website that I have used to identify those coins Lots of pictures drawings and info.
Thanks! That will come in handy should I find another coin like this one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back