✅ SOLVED 1699 Copper Coin - but what country & type?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it might be one of these - neat find :icon_thumleft:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/279004

TOKEN
Unique ID: LON-50A303

Object type certainty: Certain
Workflow status: Awaiting validation Find awaiting validation

A complete Post Medieval cast copper alloy token from Groningen, dated 1590. The unifaced disc has on the obverse the arms of the City of Groningen (a double headed eagle with wings and feet outstretched and a square-topped shield, that is divided by three horizontal bars, below) with a G above and 1590 below, there is a star to the left of the two-headed eagle's neck and an annulet to the right, all within a pelleted and then linear border. The reverse is blank apart from three stamped pellets arranged in a trefoil and three larger raised pellets arranged in a triangle.

Dimensions: diameter: 23.26mm; weight: 2.64g.

Notes:

This is a token struck in the Netherlands during the Dutch Revolts.They were issued by the City Council of Groningen with a value of three stuivers.

Attachments

• groningentoken.jpg
    groningentoken.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Why is it always Bramblefind that IDs everything? Is she like a genius or something? :icon_scratch:

Anyway, that is an extremely unique find, Crusader! You should be very proud to have found that!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why is it always Bramblefind that IDs everything? Is he like a genius or something? :icon_scratch:

Anyway, that is an extremely unique find, Crusader! You should be very proud to have found that!

I can say with a 100% certainty he is not a genius. (because it is a she)

To answer your question... IDing finds is obviously just an investigation based the little you are given and some people have both the experience, good gut feeling, and know their way around google to find the answer... and most do not.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Why is it always Bramblefind that IDs everything? Is he like a genius or something? :icon_scratch:

Because 'she' know how to research the net.

I put no time into IDing it, as I use my time for British items. However, as its not a coin like I first thought, it is now one of my more interesting tokens, so it has lifted it in my eyes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back