1650's filippo IV 8 reales, fake or real ??

techmaster

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone !! I'm seeking help from all of you on my recent find in Nags Head, NC. On my week long vacation in the Outer Banks in early November, I spent several hours searching the beach after a powerful rain and high wind storm (nor easter)came through for 2 days. It tore up the beach, turning it into a metal detectors dream!!!

IMG_0253 (1).JPG

I found many coins and a large mans 14K bracelet. My ultimate find was a Spanish 1650's cob, found at the base of the beach cut away from the erosion !!

COIN (2).JPG After a lot of internet searching (with some help), I came up with no coins matching what I have. Hundreds that all look alike, but nothing like what I have. COIN (2).JPGMany are similar, close to mine with the markings, but never a match. I have narrowed it down to filippo IV 8 reales coin, in the 1650's. What I have read was the 1st coin of this type was hammered out but filippo IV soon ordered a 2nd design that came out in the mid 1650's because the silver or gold content of the 1st design was not "weighing out" with true amount of silver or gold content in each coin. He tried to eliminate counterfeit coins that were circulating with 2nd design.

Now it gets really interesting. When I found this coin 7" in the sand with my V3i, my VDI reading was a
+52 - +53 consistently!! The coin is not tarnished, looks like a silver coin but is not reading where all silver normally reads in the +90 area. Dropping this coin onto the table or countertop you should hear a definite "ring" to it. This coin sounds like an old copper penny !! +52 is in the copper range but also at the top end of the gold VDI scale. ???Could this be white gold ?? Was the silver content or is Peruvian silver back then any different than the silver of this century???
I would love some clarification on my nice find. My only other option is a coin dealer here in Eastern VA for some answers....

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• ATT00001 1.txt
    25 bytes · Views: 38
Last edited:
By description i bet "fake"

Upvote 0
Well ... first... your story of the finds "fits"... Nags Head is loaded with shipwreck history... many known shipwrecks from that era abound.
And many coins have been recovered from that area for eons.
So...
With this said... you have a good chance at a find like the one you stated.
BUT...
no pics.

Try again.

Upvote 0
I see some pictures, but no picture of the back side (2 of the front and the beach).
By your VDI reading description and the picture I would say COPY.
Look closely at the edges and see if you can see a casting seam. Many copies have them.
Also look for any wear spots that show a white base metal showing through the plating.
Hope I'm wrong and you found the real thing.
Good luck

Upvote 0
It is fake, I'm sorry to say. My first time metal detecting on the Treasure Coast, I got a deep hit and pulled out a gold toned fake two escudo coin. Some people like to bury these things and mess with us. Like giving a junkie baking powder instead of cocaine...

Upvote 0
Looks like a souvenir piece to me.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but the "wear" on the coin looks like it has been cast in a mold. In other words it doesn't really look worn. My vote would be that it's a fake-sorry

Upvote 0
Spec gravity test would tell what the material could be composed of.
I am with the others, looks like a cast shipwreck replica.

Why it was there, who knows...

Upvote 0
Positively a contemporary "counterfeit". Either way, I bet it was wicked exciting!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Spec gravity test would tell what the material could be composed of.
I am with the others, looks like a cast shipwreck replica.

Why it was there, who knows...

Lots are found on beaches, probably the simple answer is a 'Joker'.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back