16¢

JacobD

Apr 30, 2023
Nothing too exciting today. I found 3 coins and I’m wondering if I’ll be able to pull the date of the sand encrusted penny, water and gentle rubbing are not loosening up the sand, it’s like it’s part of the coin now. Any cleaning suggestions?
Also, I’m now to this hobby, I had some one take a photo of me while I was metal detecting. Do any of you have folks give you trouble or ridicule you for minding your own business? I was on a crowded beach keeping a respectful distance from everyone and using my head phones.
Thanks,
Jacob D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 9
Nothing too exciting today. I found 3 coins and I’m wondering if I’ll be able to pull the date of the sand encrusted penny, water and gentle rubbing are not loosening up the sand, it’s like it’s part of the coin now. Any cleaning suggestions?
Also, I’m now to this hobby, I had some one take a photo of me while I was metal detecting. Do any of you have folks give you trouble or ridicule you for minding your own business? I was on a crowded beach keeping a respectful distance from everyone and using my head phones.
Thanks,
Jacob D
I'm not sure, but your penny could be a newer zinc penny. Sometimes called a zincoln, the ground minerals & salt tend to eat them up. They basically return to the earth. Penny's from 1983 on up are zinc Penny's.

Thanks,
Jacob D
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Yeah, compare your cent with a known copper cent to see if it's zinc or copper. I've had people take photos and video of me detecting. Some people are just curious or see you as an interesting subject to show their friends. I've never had anyone complain about detecting on a beach, but, I have in a park and curb strips. Some folks have nothing better to do but try to keep others from having fun. Just use responsible recovery methods that leave little to no trace of where you've been and they really don't have a leg to stand on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back