1518 22K Gold Coin

Well for starters those that could do that would need pictures to even begin to give you ideas. Also there is a section of this site for prices, might get some ideas there. At a minimum people are going to want to see pictures, want to know weight, want to see the markings. These are needed to help in answering your questions, also this information can go along way in determining if the coin is original or reproduction. Posting the above requested information in both areas will allow you to get better coverage of your item.

Good luck in all this!

Link to the "What's It Worth" area.

What's It Worth?

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Thanks, Sarge, you made my day; now hopefully we can make the poster's.
Cinderella, did your coin come with a Cert. of Authenticity? If so, from what company and who signed it?
Don.....

We don't have a cerificate.

Upvote 0
Cinderellla,
As "ffuries" mentioned above, the coin first needs to be authenticated before any value can be determined. Once authenticated, then the mint year, assayer's initial(s), mint location, condition, rarity and (maybe) 'demand' need to be known/determined--to the extent possible--before a value can be estimated. Any luck in the last three months regarding posting a pic of your coin (both sides)? What is the approx. diameter of your coin--in mm.
Don.......

Upvote 0
Here is a photo of the front side of the coin.

Attachments

• image-3589633244.jpg
    image-3589633244.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0
Here are the photos. We measured the coin as best as we can and it appears to be 5.5 mm.

Attachments

• image-336832794.jpg
    image-336832794.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 135
  • image-1756586248.jpg
    image-1756586248.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
cw0909 said:
here is another one,as far as i can tell no numerical dates were used,at that time in Seville
and your coin looks like a 2-escudos-Philip-II (1556-1598), but i cant find out why 1518
would be stamped on the coin,the 1518 stamp looks modern to me,maybe its a # that meant
something to the previous owner
Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC

a lot of coin here,if your ever looking for an I.D.
TREASURE AUCTION #5 by Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC - Session 1 - Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC - Winter Park Florida

Thank you for all your help. This is exactly the information we were looking for.

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
With these old eyes (and your most recent pic), the coin appears to me to represent (real or unreal, I have no idea) a 1594 2 escudo coin minted in Seville during the reign of Philip II (1556-1598)-similar to this one:
CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer
Don.......

Thank you so much for the fantastic information. We really appreciate all of your efforts in helping us to find the value of this coin.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all your help. This is exactly the information we were looking for.

sorry i didnt mean to imply the coin is real, i should have been more clear
it looks like a 2-escudos-Philip-II (1556-1598), but that doesnt make it a real coin
if it was real i would guess the value would be low,because of the stamped 1518
on it,you need a reputable coin dealer,to look at it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back