14k Tie Bar Clip Question?

sluggo

Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have a tie clasp I've dug up & it's marked 14k. It acid test 14k & not to 18k. My issue is the spring is the only thing magnetic on this piece. I've been told that making springs from gold is not a good idea because gold won't retain it's bent properties enough for a spring. Thus the reason necklace clasp are gold but the spring inside is not & that's why the clasp are magnetic. Is this true?

Last edited:
Pretty much so.

Sounds very likely to me. Gold is extremely mailable.

Great post sluggo! And welcome!!
Never even considered the clasp being real, even when stamped 10,14 or 18k if it doesn't pass an initial "magnet test".
Any gold would surely be way to weak to fashion a spring, as the most astute Msbeepbeep mentioned.
Peace ✌

Great post sluggo! And welcome!!
Never even considered the clasp being real, even when stamped 10,14 or 18k if it doesn't pass an initial "magnet test".
Any gold would surely be way to weak to fashion a spring, as the most astute Msbeepbeep mentioned.
Peace ✌
The clasps are gold, they have a steel spring inside.

Thanks lookingdown, I should have been more clear. I realize the steel spring causes the magnetic reaction. Your correction is duly noted.
Peace ✌

I agree with lookingdown, gold is not the best for a spring, steel is a better choice. The chain is gold, the tiny thing in the mechanism is not, but that is such a tiny amount it does not matter much.

Coinman123,

I disagree, humbly.
A small gold clasp with a very small steel spring inside, will stick to a magnet.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back