13 & 31

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
13 & 31

I dug the first one up at about 6 inches, it was covered in white paint and has the number 31 on it. When I washed it off and rubbed it with a toothpick I found out it is made out of brass or copper?

Then about 10 feet away I got a faint signal in the lead range and dug down 10 inches and found the 13. I thought they were the same things but they aren't even the same size.

Any ideas??? They are in the upper right hand corner next to the quarter for size comparison.

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 415
  • 13bk.JPG
    13bk.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 420
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 419
  • 31bk.JPG
    31bk.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 413
  • stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 417
Re: 13 & 31

Nope they were found in a yard where the home has the date 1858 written on one of the basement beams. So the yard is old as is the home.

Upvote 0

I have to agree with just-geese, they sure look like railroad tacks to me. No telling how they wound up there but stranger things have happened. Monty

Upvote 0

lonesomebob said:
Also found on power poles Bob

you just beat me to it Bob! these nails are often found on telephone poles. :wink:

Upvote 0

They were found within a 1/4 mile of railroad tracks, that I had forgotten about :-\

The railroad has been here a LONG time so it makes sense I guess.....

Upvote 0

Here are some pics of window numeral tacks that I have in my possession, with instructions for installation......NGE

Attachments

• three window tack cards.jpg
    three window tack cards.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 297
  • window tack directions.jpg
    window tack directions.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 312
  • window tack detail.jpg
    window tack detail.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0

Wow :o Looks like you (maybe) struck it lucky with the 31 :thumbsup:

"Your find is a British 31st (Huntingdonshire) Regiment of Foot enlisted man's coat button from the Revolutionary War. The metal is pewter. The 31st came to America in 1765 and were briefly stationed in the Pensacola, Florida area before being sent to the island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean, to protect British sugar plantations threatened by Carib natives. Although successful in quelling the uprising, they suffered heavy losses due to disease and eventually were transferred back to North America, where they remained from 1776 to 1787, serving in Canada. Companies of the 31st helped maintain defenses at Quebec during the Revolutionary War, and some of their troops also served in combat operations under General Burgoyne, being among those who surrendered at Saratoga, New York on October 17, 1776. Finally, after more than a decade of service in Canada, the regiment returned to England. Despite its damage- not unusual for a dug pewter specimen of the period- your 31st button is highly collectable, largely because the regiment's wartime presence in the U.S. was somewhat limited. Value? Around $300, retail."

http://www.treasurenet.com/cgi-bin/...ker.pl/Go?_id=200306&sort=DEFAULT&to=previous

Mike

Upvote 0

WoW! Trikikiwi !!!

What great info for ME! :thumbsup:
That's awesome!

Congrats ME!
What a neato bit of history you have found!!!

rmptr

Upvote 0

On second thoughts, the other 31 has too many differences to be closely related.
Mike

Upvote 0

I would hate to mislead anyone. The picture of the 31 that is pewter is a Revolutionary War button.

What I have found is much smalled than an acutal coat button and it is definetly brass or copper.

I still think it is a cool little item to find. It is COMPLETELY different from the 13 and 23 found at the same site.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back