100 y/o whiskey amber trifecta

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 7 whiskey bottles in a 100 y/o railroad logging camp here in Washington State. I would like to learn more about the amber colored bottles.
The red amber bottle was found near a foil whiskey topper that reads "Hiram Walker & Sons*Limited*" with a couple other markings. I found out the company is from Canada. The bottle has no side seams and has a horizontal grain like it has been spun rapidly. Is this a pontil? Would it be classified as red amber?

The amber bottle on the left has embossing on the base, "I.P.G.Co" (inside of a diamond) and four numerals, "2803".
I have learned the bottle was from the "Illinois Pacific Glass Company" that had a plant in Seattle by 1904. What can be learned from the numerals?

The last bottle I know nothing about, I hope something about the greenish color or the embossed almost full circle on the side. Would this bottle be considered green amber? Olive? I also included a picture of a Whiskey seal? J. Aronson, Seattle Wash. I found this distiller was located were Pike's Place Market is today in Seattle. The seal wasn't found near a bottle.

Are any of these bottles rare? I have read that bottles without side embossing are not valuable but I thought perhaps a color was rare. Thanks

Attachments

• P4020274.JPG
    P4020274.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 344
  • P4020261.JPG
    P4020261.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 209
  • P4020264.JPG
    P4020264.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 217
  • P4020268.JPG
    P4020268.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P4020265.JPG
    P4020265.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 236
  • P4020270.JPG
    P4020270.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 215
  • P3020079.JPG
    P3020079.JPG
    869.7 KB · Views: 222
771738d1365106108-100-y-o-whiskey-amber-trifecta-p4020274.jpg

Hello highnam,

Man, you gotta tone poem in amber playing on your windowsill. Nice examples of early machine made bottles. See that valve mark right of center on the reddish base. That embossed almost circle would have been for a wax seal or paper label. The one that looks spun, was likely made in a turn mould.

None of them are rare, nor valuable. I'd say that site was logged in the first quarter of the 20th Century. What do the rest of the whiskies say? Here's a great article on Illinois Pacific Glass:http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/pdffiles/IGPCO_BLockhart.pdf

"I.P.G.CO…………..Illinois Pacific Glass Company, San Francisco, California (1902-c.1925). Plant locations also at Los Angeles, and later, Oakland, CA, Seattle, WA & Portland, OR.

IPGCO in a diamond……….Illinois Pacific Glass Company, San Francisco, California (see above entry).

I.P.G. in a triangle……..Illinois Pacific Glass Corporation, San Francisco, California (c.1925-1930 or 1932). (Name change of company above.) Glass plant locations at Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle, WA, & Portland, OR. May have a tiny triangle inside the larger triangle, squeezed in above the letters. This mark might have been used earlier than 1925." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

Looks like these boys were drinkers and I bet there's more in the vicinity...

$(KGrHqNHJBcE8e2f4h9FBPOWDDLfFQ~~60_57.JPG
J Aronson Seattle Wash Quart Amber Cylinder Western Whiskey | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome, thanks for the reply! That J.Aronson bottle is great,and the article! The site was logged 1912 so your right on the money, as for the other four clear whiskey bottles I wasn't able to find any info on them except for a few random numbers...I have two clear stretched out fifth's, one that you can see on the left of the picture...both have the number 1448 on the base. I have found two other fifth whiskey bottles that are clear and round one say's "one fifth gallon capacity" and the other says "1883" on the base. Is there any info to be gained from this? Thanks Surf!

Hey highnam,

The numbers alone don't tell us much of anything. They could me mould numbers, customer numbers, or... It is unclear what their significance might be.

significance.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back