10 gram fatty

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Rang up as 12-25 on the Minelab eTrac in beach mud. Using the Coiltek 10 x 5 coil, plenty deep, and balances well with eTrac. Negative tide exposed some 'new' real estate. 😄 No karat marks, but has inscription that includes the Roman numeral III, in addition to couple's names. Anyone know what a ' III 17 / 12 ' character string represents, date-wise?
1000003986.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
"1491", not sure of this, but possibly your ring is a pre-1906 wedding band that was made before Karat marks were required. Possibly 18K. (you should have it tested). Also, I see what appears to be 11/72 which could be the month and year of a wedding date etc.(November, 1872)
Congrats on your hefty gold find !! Nice ring !!

"1491", not sure of this, but possibly your ring is a pre-1906 wedding band that was made before Karat marks were required. Possibly 18K. (you should have it tested). Also, I see what appears to be 11/72 which could be the month and year of a wedding date etc.(November, 1872)
Congrats on your hefty gold find !! Nice ring !!
Thanks for the reply! The 'date' portion reads ' III 17 / 12 ' (the wife and husband's names precede this and the engraving is stylistically, 'old'). Was wondering if lack of a jewelers mark might also indicate a non U.S. piece. Interesting that white gold apparently did not become commercially available until 1912. I will have it tested, seems on light side for platinum too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back