May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst scouting last week Cru'dad had spotted an area of a field that hadn't been planted, which we thought might be bird cover. It was about 1 acre & we had never gridded most of it. I thought we stood a good chance of 1 hammered & after fighting the heat again for nearly 5 hours I just about gave up hope, but it came out the last bit of the area we finished.(5 hours 15mins total)
We noticed a number of Archie flags & realised they must have done a dig associated with the farmers development plans. We popped in the farm before leaving to show them all the hammered from the 'Village Field', so I could put them away. (We had already dropped off a tub of finds & coins for them as well) The Archies didn't find much either, so their plans are good to go ahead.

1 Scrappy Dupondius
1st C AD Fibula (Brooch)
Roman Hair-Pin Frag.
Smashed late 18th C Fob Seal
14th C Buckle
Hammered Penny of Henry III - Until I pictured it, it looked like an unusual spelling of Gilbert of Canterbury should be;
GILBERT ON CAN or GILBERT ON CANT
Seemed to be GILBET ON C[AN]T (plus I thought I saw a GI[dot]L, but it's just a flaw), but I now see the joined letters to the E. Joining letters helped abbreviate them, so I think the RT are smashed together & joined with the E. Still pretty unusual.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28
Whilst scouting last week Cru'dad had spotted an area of a field that hadn't been planted, which we thought might be bird cover. It was about 1 acre & we had never gridded most of it. I thought we stood a good chance of 1 hammered & after fighting the heat again for nearly 5 hours I just about gave up hope, but it came out the last bit of the area we finished.(5 hours 15mins total)
We noticed a number of Archie flags & realised they must have done a dig associated with the farmers development plans. We popped in the farm before leaving to show them all the hammered from the 'Village Field', so I could put them away. (We had already dropped off a tub of finds & coins for them as well) The Archies didn't find much either, so their plans are good to go ahead.

1 Scrappy Dupondius
1st C AD Fibula (Brooch)
Roman Hair-Pin Frag.
14th C Buckle
Hammered Penny of Henry III - Until I pictured it, it looked like an unusual spelling of Gilbert of Canterbury should be;
Seemed to be GILBET ON C[AN]T (plus I thought I saw a GI[dot]L, but it's just a flaw), but I now see the joined letters to the E. Joining letters helped abbreviate them, so I think the LT are smashed together & joined with the E. Still pretty unusual.

View attachment 2088619View attachment 2088620View attachment 2088621View attachment 2088622View attachment 2088623View attachment 2088624View attachment 2088625
Beautiful hammered! It's too bad you can't also find those doing some coin roll hunting. :)

Great finds by you and Crudad! Thanks for sharing with us. Congratulations!

1 Scrappy Dupondius
1st C AD Fibula (Brooch)
Roman Hair-Pin Frag.
14th C Buckle
Seemed to be GILBET ON C[AN]T (plus I thought I saw a GI[dot]L, but it's just a flaw), but I now see the joined letters to the E. Joining letters helped abbreviate them, so I think the LT are smashed together & joined with the E. Still pretty unusual.

View attachment 2088619View attachment 2088620View attachment 2088621View attachment 2088622View attachment 2088623View attachment 2088624View attachment 2088625
Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

That is a wonderful silver piece. I really like that the English included a portrait on their coinage so early on. Congrats on all the finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back