000ddd.jpg

000aaa.jpg

000eee.jpg

000fff.jpg

000ggg.jpg

000ccc.jpg

Satellite-view-Tristan-da-Cunha-island-Atlantic.jpg

Too bad that island bungalow isn’t flying the Jolly Roger

Hola Ryno amigo in 2004 I sailed around Tristan da Cunha. Big swells and no safe anchorage. Even visited nightingale Island which has it own treasure story dating back from the American civil war. Not an easy place to visit.

Kanacki

Tristan da Cunha itself is accessible only by sea via a seven-day sail from Cape Town, South Africa, by landing during the 60 days of the year that the harbor allows for access to the island.

I'm curious if "Inaccessible" is a Proper Noun or a verb.
000bhy.jpg
Got some freaky Wildlife too :laughing9:

0000wsd.jpg

Penguin with hat?

If that Sucker Talks with an Island Chief from McChales Navy's

000chief.jpg

Accent , I'd be runnin !

Last edited:
Gidday Jeff

There is a story my apologies I working from memory of treasure hidden on Nightingale island now desolation island. From the American civil war the vessel had been wrecked after a chase from a confederate privateer, And money was taken ashore and hidden by a captain. The captain made a map and and few years later died years later the mate returned and recovered the treasure, The vessel had sail from New Orleans. The son found out about the recovered and sued the mate for the money which originally belonged to the late captain..

There was newspaper story about the court case.

Crow

Posted in 1916 on a List of Known Treasure Finds Before that date

000when.jpg

No other Details.

Will post the List after I Eat :coffee2:

Hola amigos

I know the area where the vessel from the civil war story was wrecked. unfortunately other ships have come to grief near the same spot. in 2011 a ship Olivia with a crew of 22 and soybeans from Santos Brazil to Singapore struck an undersea rock and sank below.

MSOliva.jpg

In 2019 an ex research ship Geosearcher converted into a crabbing processing ship with crew of 62 stuck the rock and sank both crews was rescued.

samsa-2020-10-15-sinking-geo-searcher.jpg

There are some very dangerous underwater pinnacles under the water around the island. Where you think there is deep water you can drift over a pinnacle before even knowing it.

Kanacki

Hola amigos

I know the area where the vessel from the civil war story was wrecked. unfortunately other ships have come to grief near the same spot. in 2011 a ship Olivia with a crew of 22 and soybeans from Santos Brazil to Singapore struck an undersea rock and sank below.

View attachment 1899781

In 2019 an ex research ship Geosearcher converted into a crabbing processing ship with crew of 62 stuck the rock and sank both crews was rescued.

View attachment 1899782

There are some very dangerous underwater pinnacles under the water around the island. Where you think there is deep water you can drift over a pinnacle before even knowing it.

Kanacki

Hola Amigos

In 1821, the “Blendon Hall Incident” drew the attention of mariners everywhere. The 450-ton East India Company merchant vessel Blendon Hall was lost in the fog while sailing from Jamaica to Bombay, India. Blown off course in heavy seas, she ran aground off Inaccessible Island. Two seamen drowned, but 50 passengers and crew scrambled over the rocks to safety and watched their ship sink. Survivors were marooned for four months while living on fish, birds’ eggs and seal meat. After one failed attempt, another party made it to Tristan in a makeshift boat and sent help to the remaining castaways.

In 1836, the American schooner Emily, sailing out of New York, was outfitted as a sealer to hunt the animals for their skins, oil and meat. While moored off Tristan, Capt. Peter Green’s ship dragged its anchor during a sudden storm and sank off the south shore. No lives were lost. Green, however, remained on the island, married an islander and had eight children. A highly respected resident, he became “Headman” of the Settlement and lived to age 94.

In 1892, the Italia, a merchant ship sailing from Scotland to Capetown, South Africa, caught fire near Tristan. The quick thinking captain ran his vessel ashore, saving himself and his 16 crew. Two of them, Andrea Repetto and Gaetano Lavarello stayed behind, married Tristian women and had families whose descendants are still on the island today.

Other shipwrecks in the archipelago include the Beacon Light, Henry B. Paul, Shakespeare, Helen S. Lee, Mabel Clark, HMS Julia and the Lark.

I think from memory it was the vessel "The Lark" Had treasure hidden on nightingale?

Kanacki

Hola Jeff amigo

There might be some truth to earlier Tristan da Cunha story about pirate treasure being found in cave. Here is some coins silver pieces of 8 found in one of numerous caves on the island.

Tristan-Silver-Coins-2-Photos cave coins dirty.jpg

Here is some of them cleaned up below.....

Tristan-Silver-Coins-2-Photos cave coins cleaned..jpg

There are numerous caves in the islands all are ex lava tubes some are dangerous to enter because of roof collapse.

4F2C8376.jpg

ldDevilsHole6256.jpg

ldDevilsHole6268.jpg

ldDevilsHole6280.jpg

Is there more treasure to be found? Who knows.....

Kanacki

Gidday all

I think the treasure Kanacki was referring to was the one on Nightingale island?

The clipper-built brig Lark, (master William H.Summers), in 1864 runs into a storm near Tristan, where she is sighted by a man-of-war, run ashore and scuttled.Capt. Summers and his first mate Henderson succeed in getting a chest containing their fortune as privateers and live some time with the islanders until taken aboard a sailing vessel. Summers dies on his way home. Capt. Henderson on the sailing ship Rover returns to Tristan with the chart left by Summers and rediscovers the chest: he then returns to New Orleans.

The other story on Tristan DeCruna in the caves of sandy point pictured in Kanacki's post was of the earlier Tommaso Corri he had kept pieces of 8 hidden in a iron pot in the caves on sandy point.

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back