I think its a cane tip ?

mfc83

Feb 27, 2010
MILLSBORO,DE
Detector(s) used
FISHER 1280X ,FISHER F2,BOUNTY HUNTER IV , TESORO CUTLASS UMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a field site i think its a cane tip but a few people say chiar or table leg but the end that had wood in it is only about the size of a nickle and its like 1 1/2 inch tall. Think i like trying to figure out what things are about as much as i do detecting them

Attachments

• 2013-04-14 13.39.28.jpg
    2013-04-14 13.39.28.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
metal_detector_searching.gif
Interesting find - sure looks like something that would go on the end of a furniture leg mfc83!

I've found a couple of similar items. I was told that they were for a horse buggy. Used on the front tips of the long wooden shafts on either side of the horse. Used to protect the sharp tip and so they did not split.

Jeff

I've found those before too and I have no idea what they are. I'll be checking back to see how others respond. The response from Jeff In North Georgia seems reasonable.

You might try posting this under the What is It? threads.

I found the same thing on Sunday in a field it has the same wear on it

Attachments

• image-3533465297.jpg
    image-3533465297.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 89
If these items are typically found in fields...best bet they are related to farm inpliments and not a cane.

Think about the bezel end of a hoe or pitch fork or rake...:icon_thumright:

I'm pretty sure that my response is right. When the buggy was not on the horse, these would drag on the ground as the buggy was being moved around and cause the wear on the side of the tips as shown on these examples.

Google buggy shaft brass tips.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that my response is right. When the buggy was not on the horse, these would drag on the ground as the buggy was being moved around and cause the wear on the side of the tips as shown on these examples.

Google buggy shaft brass tips.

Jeff
You have my vote so far. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back