Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent Finds.....Including 1830's Shako Hat Plume Holder

Hello All :hello:

These past two Sundays I have been back at a pair of old house sites located about 100 yards apart in a large cow pasture. Both houses are long gone, but based on the buttons, coins, and other relics, I estimate they were occupied from the 1820's or 30's through the turn of the century. Both houses have produced military relics. The "lower" one has given up (2) one piece eagle on cannon buttons, (1) one piece eagle A, and (1) one piece Rifleman's button. The "upper" site has given up (1) one piece eagle on cannon button and a GAR veterans badge. This Sunday I found another military relic at the "upper" site that I could use some help on from any military head gear experts out there. I immediately recognized it as a plume holder, but have no idea whether it is US issued, militia issued, or what branch of service would have used it. I am also a little unsure of the period, but suspect it to be 1830's to 50's. Here is a similar one I found on the internet.

http://www.icollector.com/Brass-sha...ar-period-1835-42-infantry-dress-hat_i8646393

The owner of this property was very influential during the first half of the 19th century. He raised a Dragoon unit in the War of 1812 and served in Ohio. Upon return, he was elected a Major General in Pennsylvania State Militia. The residents of these houses would have worked in his nearby grist and paper mills, and probably served in the local militia. This would explain the military relics that are turning up.

In addition to the hat plume holder, I found a neat bulldog face that I believe might have been part of a suspender buckle. Also a fancy escutcheon of some sort and the usual flat buttons.

Attachments

• Recent Finds.jpg
    Recent Finds.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 902
  • Plume and Tape.jpg
    Plume and Tape.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 950
  • Plume Front.jpg
    Plume Front.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 871
  • Bulldog.jpg
    Bulldog.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 883
  • Escutheon.jpg
    Escutheon.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 866
  • Buttons.jpg
    Buttons.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 875
  • Shako Hat.jpg
    Shako Hat.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Upvote 0
Re: Recent Finds.....Including 1830's Shako Hat Plume Holder??

I have always wanted to dig one of those hat plume holders Steve. On my wish list. Around here, they are associated with the Nashville Military Institute where Confederate hero Sam Davis attended. Nice buttons that you dug too. WTG, Q.

fantastic finds. looks like a match to me :thumbsup:

Whoa! Cool Relics...Congrats and HH

Nice saves. Stick with that spot and pound it!

Very nice!!Have seen a couple Plume holders surface

Wow! Those are some super interesting finds! And wonderful history to go along with them :icon_thumleft:

That's an interesting site Steve, and you're finding a nice assortment of relics. Maybe a piece of silver will show up. Keep hitting it hard.

Those are great finds, Steve :icon_thumleft: Thanks for the history on the property, very interesting :read2:

Nice digs Steve , bulldog relic is great :o dawg

Cool finds Steve, I found a couple of hat plume holders a few years ago. One of them had a flame soldered to the base of it.

The bulldog looks like it's straight off a bottle of redbull.... Okay so they have a bull for a mascott. This dawg would be better.

lost crow said:
Cool finds Steve, I found a couple of hat plume holders a few years ago. One of them had a flame soldered to the base of it.

My friend in Dallas found some up in Oklahoma that were the flaming bomb motif. Sounds like what you may have found.

I like the hat Plume holder, is it complete but just flatened? Cannot tell by the photo........Funny, I guess Bulldogs had some stature in the 1800s, I remember my son finding a solid silver Bulldog tie tack years ago that was from before the turn of the century.

Don

Don in SJ said:
I like the hat Plume holder, is it complete but just flatened? Cannot tell by the photo........Funny, I guess Bulldogs had some stature in the 1800s, I remember my son finding a solid silver Bulldog tie tack years ago that was from before the turn of the century.

Don

Don, I believe it is complete. All four leaves are there. It is the same length as the one in the link I found on the internet. Some varieties of plume holders had round bulb at the bottom, kind of like the flaming bomb. It is definitely flattened, but that's alright. It will be easier to put in the Riker mount :laughing7:

;D nice digs.

You have a great site there Steve. Very nice digs. The Plume holder is a great piece of the owners history and now yours, very cool, congrats.. Arty

Nice digs Steve. I found one of those on the VA Peninsula at a site that had Rev War and 1812 activity. I will have to dig it out but I think it was from a Shako and identical to yours. You are on a great site!
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back