Wasnt finding much till the bag of keys ! Then a late stunning button !

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't finding much till the bag of keys ! Then a late stunning button !

After work today I was back at the site I have been on since labor day weekend ! I rcheched the outhouse pit that I had been digging monday afternoon to see if I missed anything . I came away with the cast iron lamp base, a talcum powder cover and a couple of lantern pieces ect .. nothing too exciting and I still had to fill the pit in so hunting time was going to be limited to an hour before dark. After filling in this pit I decided to wander further away from the road and this site but as signals were waining to non existant I spotted a small hollow and decided to check to see if it was a privy pit ! There were a bunch of branches, bare of leaves now. stacked over the small depression and down under the branches I can see a big leather satchel ! I removed the branches an pick up the bag HEAVY and making jingling noises when I shake it !! I was hoping for some coinage ! It turned out to be a bag of keys with a lockset . 2 cell phone chargers and some jumper cables !! I am thinking lock smith bag ! or Aprtment house maintenance keys ???? After this near heart attack I carried that bag back to the truck ! Still had a little time left so I hit the area that had produced my only old flat button last weekend and and about twenty yards from there got a decent signal and poped this button out . I could just barely make out the figure of a man standing as it was getting dark, and Imediately thought State seal button. I wraped it in a paper towel and threw it in a baggie . It turned out to be a gold gilded Native American Archer scene button marked London extra quality. With a lot of the gild still on it ! So far I have only dry cleaned the button using a lite tooth pick on the reverse and a soft brush to the front of the button ! Should I expose it to any cleaning liquids ?? Thanks for looking ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 851
Upvote 0
Re: Wasn't finding much till the bag keys! Then a late stunning button !

Beautiful Massachusetts Button!!! Alberts MS 22A. Many of these buttons had the A.M. Peasley /Boston backmark which dates them 1810 - 1823.

Nice find, and it looks to be a nice one. I bet that back had you going for a few minutes. I bet you hoped it was a back of money ;D I would be a little suspicious of what it may have been used for ??? Maybe a thief had other things in mind?? I guess I watch too many crime stories and such. Are you going to keep the bag or turn it over to someone?? Not to be nosey into your business ::)

Really a sweet looking button :icon_thumright:

Very cool button! Any idea on age?

Re: Wasn't finding much till the bag of keys ! Then a late stunning button !

What a beautiful heavily gilted Mass. button. :hello2:
I'll bet that's close to or over a 200 dollar button!

I really like that button. It would look good with my Indian relics :laughing7: ole buddy old pal !! You are on fire. What a fun hunt!
TnMtns

sweet button :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Excellant button! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Great looking gilt!

wow thats a nice button. nice finds . willy

Stunning is Right!
Love the Mass Seal.
Awesome Button.

Love the button Mainerelic. :icon_thumleft:

Great looking button :icon_thumleft: i would leave it as is Dd60

Button is a BEAUTY!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

That sure is great luck to find one button and it be that! Will clean up incredible too. It's just a matter if you prefer as is, or the gilt shining. It's only a minute or two cleaning job. I personally would clean it and have it shine.

Here's what that condition would probably look similar to. This one was cleaned and waxed.

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 480
  • 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 494

Wow look at all that gilt. What a great button.

I think you need to start a "how many keys have you found" post and be declared the winner :laughing9: :laughing9:

Iron Patch said:
That sure is great luck to find one button and it be that! Will clean up incredible too. It's just a matter if you prefer as is, or the gilt shining. It's only a minute or two cleaning job. I personally would clean it and have it shine.

Here's what that condition would probably look similar to. This one was cleaned and waxed.
That Button came out beautiful Iron patch I think I will give a wash and a seal ! I was fortunate to turn this particular button ! But the cleanup I did of all the trash signals of this in town and heavily polluted colanial site was what enabled me to pick up the signal ! Thanks Iron Patch and everyone else for your kind post remarks ! MaineRelic

REALLY NICE BUTTON!!!!!!!! better condition than the one i have good luck and keep digging KRAZYHORSES

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 385
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 387
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 392
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 395

OH WOW IS THAT A GREAT BUTTON! :notworthy:

Congrats!! Nana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back