Wired Musket (Bolo) balls

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: Found an other photo on the internet of the balls.... (see later message)

I though I would let you see these double musket balls that I found. Found these on the bottom of a former (12th century harbor). The harbor had been filled in sometime in the 19th century and was now being dug out for the construction of a large building with an underground parking place. Because of environmental regulations here they had to dig the soil out until clean clay was reached. This was at the end quite a deep hole.

I searched the bottom of the harbor when the pit was about 3 meters deep, but before they dug it out completely. The harbor was very old, from the 12th Century, but I believe these were lost on a VOC ship sometime in the 17th century, because it was a busy main harbor for the VOC, who even had their own coinage back then.

Found many relics and coins, but these relics I had never seen, although I have seen about the same weapon only MUCH larger, two cannon balls connected together with an iron bar; shot out of a cannon at another ship they would spin and the idea was to break the masts so the ship could not manover anymore. A long time ago I found one of those, it's at a museum now.

But these are much smaller and connected with a wire and were used for a more ghastly purpose, to horrendous wound the sailors of the other ship. Leaving the musket they would unwind (the wire was coiled up between the two balls when new) and spin through the air until they met someone, you can imagine what they did.

Like I say originally the set consisted of lead musket balls with a coiled up wire between them, these (this is how I found them) seem to be used. But since I found them in a small area in the harbor I am thinking that some sailors played around with some of them while in the harbor, or they were unwound somehow and just dropped overboard. I have not been able to find someone else who has these bullets, but I would imagine somewhere on the net must be more information.

FORGOT to say, every ball measures 17 mm (0.669 caliber or inches), and they are not damaged in anyway, so not been fired.

Attachments

• Double musket balls-1.jpg
    Double musket balls-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,645
Upvote 0
Re: Double wired Musket balls

FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't think fishing sinkers?

bomber said:
FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yea, I want to keep out of the way of those, just think.....

Iron Patch said:

I'm inclined to agree with IP. Aren't you more likely to find fishing sinkers or net weights at the bottom of a harbour than musket balls? And the way they are twisted makes me think someone wrapped them around something (like the bottom of a fishing net) once-upon-a-time...

Whatever the case, you've dug some really cool stuff. I enjoy your posts.

DCMatt

Fishing net weights are a good possibility. Neat finds and HH, Mike

Cool finds there!
Those sure look nasty. I've seen those same type of rounds in 12 GA.
Mike

DCMatt said:
Iron Patch said:
I'm inclined to agree with IP. Aren't you more likely to find fishing sinkers or net weights at the bottom of a harbour than musket balls? And the way they are twisted makes me think someone wrapped them around something (like the bottom of a fishing net) once-upon-a-time...
Whatever the case, you've dug some really cool stuff. I enjoy your posts.
DCMatt

Hey, Iron Patch. Yes I am finding that sort of stuff too, lots of it. Back in those days the fresh water harbor that is here now was open to the sea, so it was a sea water harbor. The boats just left the harbor and sailed out to the North Sea. Now, since 1932, the sea is gone, its a fresh water lake. They built a levy across the water and closed it off to the sea. The level of the fresh water (from a River) is kept a couple meters higher than sea level to keep the salt water out. But most of the relics and coins are great, I guess due to the clay bottom of the harbor, if it had been sand it would have been much worse. Thanks for enjoying the posts, I try to put some history into my posts, I know everyone still wants to learn, and there is much still to learn and enjoy.

I though, well I have never searched on the net for the things, how to search. I entered after trying other things something like "wired musket balls" and got a few hits...

-Finds from the wreck of the Avondster
Shot connected with a copper wire has been found, both loose and in the canisters: very effective to cut rigging and wound people

-From the ship The Meresteyn, wrecked in 1702, near Cape Town, South Africa ...coil of bronze wire, the ends of the wire having been cast in with the musket balls. In one. example the wire between the musket balls, ... From this second hit I could not go further, have to buy the article, darn it.

But even found a photo.....

Attachments

• from the Avondster wired_shot_500x341.jpg
    from the Avondster wired_shot_500x341.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,243
Re: Wired Musket balls (two balls with wire connection) (FOUND OTHERS ON THE NET)

Didnt Gypsy Heart have a post about something like
these a while back? If not her I am sure one of the
gals did a few months back. Jimbob
P.S. Very neat find. Good job.

Re: Wired Musket balls (two balls with wire connection) (FOUND OTHERS ON THE NET)

could they have been used to stuff in canons?

jimbob450 said:
Didnt Gypsy Heart have a post about something like
these a while back? If not her I am sure one of the
gals did a few months back. Jimbob
P.S. Very neat find. Good job.

Would be interested in reading that, do you know how to find that message?

txkickergirl said:
could they have been used to stuff in canons?

Those were other balls, such as these

Text: Large, iron "canister" shot. 9 lb, 5½" tall and 4¼" in diameter. A cluster of about 40 balls (grapeshot) between two round plates that were shot out of a cannon to disperse and inflict damage over a wide area, all the balls but only one of the plates present in this specimen (the other replaced with a wooden facsimile), the balls a bit corroded but coated black to seal off the rust.

Attachments

• cannon flodder.jpg
    cannon flodder.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,077

mikewaz said:
Cool finds there!
Those sure look nasty. I've seen those same type of rounds in 12 GA.
Mike

If I recall they were called bolo rounds. I don't know if you can still get them here in the States, but they were fun to play around with ten years, or so, ago. Also had what we called door knockers. They were 00 or 2 buck, wired together. when fired they were supposed to fan out like a net, hit the door and take it down. Never got to try one, but they looked nasty.

woody50 said:
I though, well I have never searched on the net for the things, how to search. I entered after trying other things something like "wired musket balls" and got a few hits...

Shot connected with a copper wire has been found, both loose and in the canisters: very effective to cut rigging and wound people

-From the ship The Meresteyn, wrecked in 1702, near Cape Town, South Africa ...coil of bronze wire, the ends of the wire having been cast
in with the musket balls. In one. example the wire between the musket balls, ...
From this second hit I could not go further, have to buy the article, darn it.

I'm convinced. Never seen anything like it...

DCMatt

DCMatt said:
woody50 said:

-From the ship The Meresteyn, wrecked in 1702, near Cape Town, South Africa ...coil of bronze wire, the ends of the wire having been cast
in with the musket balls. In one. example the wire between the musket balls, ...
From this second hit I could not go further, have to buy the article, darn it.
I'm convinced. Never seen anything like it...
DCMatt
No problem, there are just so darn many relics that are in the ground that you or I have never even seen, we just don't know what they are or what they were used for. Its fun trying to find out. Internet searching is just great, only if you don't know what something is called, it gets harder. First a little idea and then it grows with more hits in the right direction. Finding those key words is very hard sometimes....greetings

Re: Wired Musket balls (Found others on the net today)

Woody50, Jimbob here, I dont know how to find that old
post unless the person that wrote it reads this one @
gets a hold of you or reposts it. Maybe the mods or
someone will know how. LUCK, jIMBOB

jimbob450 said:
Woody50, Jimbob here, I dont know how to find that old post unless the person that wrote it reads this one @ gets a hold of you or reposts it. Maybe the mods or someone will know how. LUCK, jIMBOB

OK, no problem. I guess you would have to search for some term, but I don't know what. Thanks anyway.

Similar to the "bar shot" of the American Civil War. (Same concept...the bar shot was bigger, and more dangerous.)

WAY COOL finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back