spikes ?

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
i found these 2 brass, bronze or copper spike jobbies recently while hunting along the waters edge.....they are both about 4 inches long +/-.....the pointed one looks like a prong from neptunes trident ? i'm not really sure what it is ? if any of you salts have a guess or may know, please feel free to enlighten me.....i always enjoy finding pieces of shipping history and get stoked when i do.....hope you all have a great week....hh

Attachments

• Copy of brass spikes june 09 a.JPG
    Copy of brass spikes june 09 a.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 547
HELLO LUCKY D :THE SPIKE YOU HAVE OR SPIKES WERE USED IN SHIP BUILDING AND ALSO ON WHARFS' I HAVE A FEW LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE .MINE ARE BRONZE.THEY ARE A NICE RELIC TO HAVE FOR CONVERSATION SAKE.KEEP LOOKING IN THE AREA YOU FOUND THEM YOU MAY GET A COIN . H H .

Where did you find them? Have you lost your mind?

I hunt with this bozo and he won't tell you a thing. He once banned me from hunting with him for 6 months just because I disclosed the location of where I was finding about a 1/2 dozen late 1970's copper pennies a day.

He has good luck but a real goofy swing too, kind of spastic. Really this guy is one to be avoided.

Love ya bro

b'ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ......too funny ant!.....you're banned again!.....if you want to know where sofleng finds cob coins ? just ask him and he'll draw you a map....i'll be a sport.....i found them spikes on the east coast of the united states, somewhere between isle au huat, maine and key west, fl. ...... there!....i'm always willing to help out a fellow md'er.....hope you all find some goodies.....see ya in the am ant.....hh

yeah...i would like some more info jerome....the link you put up does'nt go anywhere.....i did a search on ships spikes and came up with nadda on the web , so any info is good info....hh

I've gotta iron spike recovered at Colored beach after a hurricane. Square, layered like it was wrought. Bent at 90 degrees. Got the wood it was in..hard and heavy. It's in Stuart if anyone knows spikes.

BTw, I've had John Brandon, Tommy Gore, and others look at it with no definite determination of age, etc.

I have a lot of great pictures of spikes I have seen lately. The 90 degree bend may be a special kind of attachment process that was done between pieces of wood. I thought the picture was better, I will get another one later in the week if it hasn't been moved. This is an interior structure board with two hull pins in it. There are 2 90 degree spikes on one end.

whole board with pins exposed.

Yeah, it's now gone or buried. The board and another plank I have a picture of may explain how Manila galleons were built, with their timbers being held in place by lattices of these hull pin boards along the ribs. Then, in Acapulco, they could be easily knocked apart and rebuilt for the return trip. Or, since I could not go back and look at it again for now, it may not be right. It would be a particularly durable way to build a boat, and it would take a lot of abuse, have some give in it, and hold itself together under tension like a puzzle box.

I may be limited in the future about posting this stuff, as one of the stipulations or my situation is research and pics are given to the gov. I do get to see some really great stuff though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back