DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at a local map from 1859 I see "C.S." at 9 locations in less than 1.5 miles... A lot of something for a small area. A 7 year earlier map shows a "carriage shop" in the same area. I'm thinking maybe it might mean carpentry shop? This area was not inhabited until about 1800 and was heavily wooded at the time.
Here's the C.S.'s in blue.
Also in red is a W.S. Wheel shop maybe?
cs2.png

And while typing this out I see the earlier mentioned carriage shop is shown on the newer map as "C.M." Located 4 buildings to the right of the red WS. I have no idea what CM is either. Probably not a mill as there is no moving water in this area.
Thanks for any suggestions?

OP
OP
DanMcG

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might also consider asking the local historian; found by asking at your library's Reference Desk.
Don......
Thanks Don, we don't have a historian but I've emailed the town historical society they might know something.
The thought that immediately came to my mind was: CS=cabin site, WS= ?
That's a real possibility, comparing the 1852 map with the 1859 the '52 has blocks (buildings) that are not assigned ownership.
The one that got my attention is a school on the '52 map that was replaced with a new one down the road in 1854, and on the 59 map there's a CS label
Thanks for the hint!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions