Page 161.jpg

Page 162.jpg

Page 163.jpg

Page 164.jpg

Page 165.jpg

Page 166.jpg

Page 167.jpg

Page 168.jpg

This chapter of "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" is the last one that I will be posting. Bessie Loveless was a very skilled writer and she has impressed me with her storytelling ability. This book is apparently the only one she ever authored. "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" is now out-of-print, but someone (not Bessie Loveless) used CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform to print a later edition. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform was used by self-publishers and it is now extinct, but despite that fact copies of the later edition are still available from various sellers at affordable prices. I don't know if supplies of the later edition will be replaced when current stocks are depleted.

Not much biographical information is available about the author. Bessie Barkley (1893-1980) grew up in New York (State?) and attended Albany College. She became a reporter for the Washington Herald and was eventually appointed editor of Unity Magazine. Barkley married John Lee Loveless (1886-1974) in 1928 and the couple settled in Chandler, Arizona. Writing under the pen name of Leland Lovelace, Bessie Loveless published "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" in 1956.

She donated a collection of her papers to the ASU Library, and I would guess that a serious researcher would find some valuable, historical information among those documents.

Title: Leland Lovelace Papers
Inclusive Dates: 1936-1966
Quantity: 6 Boxes (3.0 Linear Feet)
Abstract: The Leland Lovelace Papers include correspondence, newsclippings, printed matter, and unpublished manuscripts. The majority these materials document Lovelace's research on lost mines and buried treasure in the Superstition Mountain region.
Identification: MSS-51
Language: Material in English
Repository: Arizona State University Library. Greater Arizona Collection
P.O. Box 871006, Tempe, AZ 85287-1006
Phone: (480) 965-4932
E-Mail: [email protected]

The entire book is in the public domain and can be downloaded, page-by-page, at the link below.

Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure - Leland Lovelace
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015015393906&view=1up&seq=1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This chapter of "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" is the last one that I will be posting. Bessie Loveless was a very skilled writer and she has impressed me with her storytelling ability. This book is apparently the only one she ever authored. "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" is now out-of-print, but someone (not Bessie Loveless) used CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform to print a later edition. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform was used by self-publishers and it is now extinct, but despite that fact copies of the later edition are still available from various sellers at affordable prices. I don't know if supplies of the later edition will be replaced when current stocks are depleted.

Not much biographical information is available about the author. Bessie Barkley (1893-1980) grew up in New York (State?) and attended Albany College. She became a reporter for the Washington Herald and was eventually appointed editor of Unity Magazine. Barkley married John Lee Loveless (1886-1974) in 1928 and the couple settled in Chandler, Arizona. Writing under the pen name of Leland Lovelace, Bessie Loveless published "Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure" in 1956.

She donated a collection of her papers to the ASU Library, and I would guess that a serious researcher would find some valuable, historical information among those documents.

Title: Leland Lovelace Papers
Inclusive Dates: 1936-1966
Quantity: 6 Boxes (3.0 Linear Feet)
Abstract: The Leland Lovelace Papers include correspondence, newsclippings, printed matter, and unpublished manuscripts. The majority these materials document Lovelace's research on lost mines and buried treasure in the Superstition Mountain region.
Identification: MSS-51
Language: Material in English
Repository: Arizona State University Library. Greater Arizona Collection
P.O. Box 871006, Tempe, AZ 85287-1006
Phone: (480) 965-4932
E-Mail: [email protected]

The entire book is in the public domain and can be downloaded, page-by-page, at the link below.

Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure - Leland Lovelace
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015015393906&view=1up&seq=1
Thanks for the explanation SkyHawk.

Unfortunately Google Books, Haithi Trust and you are mistaken about the copyright - this book is not in the public domain. This is not unusual and the notice attached at the Hathi Trust download makes that clear:
  • Public Domain or Public Domain in the United States, Google-digitized: In addition to the terms for works that are in the Public Domain or in the Public Domain in the United States above, the following statement applies: The digital images and OCR of this work were produced by Google, Inc. (indicated by a watermark on each page in the PageTurner). Google requests that the images and OCR not be re-hosted, redistributed or used commercially. The images are provided for educational, scholarly, non-commercial purposes.

Note: There are no restrictions on use of text transcribed from the images, or paraphrased or translated using the images.
This all goes back to a Supreme Court case where the court agreed Google could copy books and let others read them without violating copyright law as long as they didn't allow the scans to be redistributed. What that means for researchers is that you can't republish the scans, like you have done here.

I personally hold thousands of copyrights. I'm quite familiar with the process. I'm not here to enforce anyone's copyright but instead to inform researchers that believe they can rely on works being copyright free because google scanned them - it just ain't so. The copyright on Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure is just as valid and binding as it was in 1956 when it was first copyright. Today if you want to publish this work you would need a rights release from John Lawton - the current copyright owner.

It's pretty easy to check on copyright status in the US. Just visit the WebVoyage Recorder site and type in the book title or author.

The copyright for Lost Mines and Hidden Treasure was renewed in 1971 and a new, still copyrighted, version has been in publication since 1978.

Here the listing from the copyright office:

Type of Work:​
Recorded Document
Document Number:​
V1707P440
Date of Recordation:​
1979-02-23
Entire Copyright Document:​
V1707P440-444
Date of Execution:​
24Nov78
Registration Number Not Verified:​
A267222 (1957)
A279999 (1971)
Title:​
Lost mines and hidden treasure; book / By Leland Lovelace. A267222 (1957) & A279999 (1971)
Notes:​
Transfer of copyright.
Party 1:​
James R. Adkins, trustee in bankruptcy no. SA-76-BK-468, The Naylor Company
Party 2:​
John Lawson.

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your astute and thorough information on the legalities attached to copyrights, Clay. Most legal-speak is not understood by me; just one of my many weaknesses. Anyway, I hope my blunder has pointed some people to a book worth reading. It's too bad that so many of those old volumes are now forgotten.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your astute and thorough information on the legalities attached to copyrights, Clay. Most legal-speak is not understood by me; just one of my many weaknesses. Anyway, I hope my blunder has pointed some people to a book worth reading. It's too bad that so many of those old volumes are now forgotten.
Copyright isn't legal speak. Copyright is when someone registers their intellectual property with the federal copyright office. Copyright is one of the enumerated powers granted in the United States Constitution - Article 1 Section 8 Clause 8 - the intellectual property clause. You can get a copy of the Constitution HERE - it's a good read I suggest all citizens become familiar with it. :thumbsup:

Copyright registration gives the owner the right to triple damages and expenses if someone uses their property without their written permission. If they don't register their copyright they can only sue for actual damages.

This book isn't forgotten. It's still being published and sold under copyright. Members here could purchase a copy from several sources including Amazon. In fact the readers here are probably one of the largest audiences for selling this particular book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread