XP Machines and underground dog fences

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever use an XP machine in the proximity of an underground dog fence? Both the Deus 2 and the ORX are way to chatty to even use when my neighbors have their dog fence on. Even if I lower the sensitivity. On my Manticore I can lower sensitivity to 15 and noise cancel and get great results.

All my machines can get chatty with the overhead power lines, but a noise cancel usually fixes that. When the neighbor has the fence turned off, a quick frequency change is all I need on both XP machines and they're quiet as church mouse. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar reaction with the XP machines.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever use an XP machine in the proximity of an underground dog fence? Both the Deus 2 and the ORX are way to chatty to even use when my neighbors have their dog fence on. Even if I lower the sensitivity. On my Manticore I can lower sensitivity to 15 and noise cancel and get great results.

All my machines can get chatty with the overhead power lines, but a noise cancel usually fixes that. When the neighbor has the fence turned off, a quick frequency change is all I need on both XP machines and they're quiet as church mouse. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar reaction with the XP machines.
If by "chatty" you mean a lot of EMI noise, crazy brief ghost signals, then yes.

I knew to expect some noise around utility lines, but from how far away?

I figured what I was hearing was some kind of EMI, but I seem to get it everywhere, so I've been trying to ignore it.

No dog fence, but I am picking up underground lines, which I would think should be too deep to detect (48"). What I originally thought was the water line may be the cast iron sewer line. Gas is shallower and in a different place.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Underground and above ground dog fences cause all Detectors to go crazy. I have even seen Wi-Fi signals do it.
Unfortunately, the only way to completely get rid of it is to beg the person to turn it off for a bit.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Underground and above ground dog fences cause all Detectors to go crazy. I have even seen Wi-Fi signals do it.
Unfortunately, the only way to completely get rid of it is to beg the person to turn it off for a bit.
You know, the funny part is the neighbor is usually out with the dog on a leash. But their fence is still on!

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, the funny part is the neighbor is usually out with the dog on a leash. But their fence is still on!
Insurance. A determined (enough) dog will figure out how to defeat either.

Once they've figured out that the electric fence has no further power after they've blown through it, you may as well dig it up and scrap it.

We've always "border trained" our dogs, but that may not work for everyone--it takes longer, and every dog, person, and sitch is different.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insurance. A determined (enough) dog will figure out how to defeat either.

Once they've figured out that the electric fence has no further power after they've blown through it, you may as well dig it up and scrap it.

We've always "border trained" our dogs, but that may not work for everyone--it takes longer, and every dog, person, and sitch is different.
I think you're right. They sometimes have different dogs. I'm pretty sure they foster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread