With regards to a previously closed thread

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Just for my own education .. aren't some of the pieces posted in that thread tan chert that has been worked? Just curious.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just for my own education .. aren't some of the pieces posted in that thread tan chert that has been worked? Just curious.
Not sure which piece you are referring to, I just looked again and all of the ones I see are natural chert, few with chips from tumbling in flowing water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure which piece you are referring to sir, I just looked again and all of the ones I see are natural chert, a couple with chips from tumbling in flowing water.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure which piece you are referring to sir, I just looked again and all of the ones I see are natural chert, a couple with chips from tumbling in flowing water.
The 5th, 17th, and 18th mainly. The reason I ask is when I had my ranch in Texas, I would often go on paid hunts where they would dump a load of dirt on a large screen. You could buy a whole screen, a half , or a quarter screen, and any artifacts that showed up on you portion were yours to keep. On these sites a lot of chert flakes and cores that looked quite similar to those turned up on the screens.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I relooked at the ones you mentioned, they look like normal chert shaped by nature, while the 5th shape resembles a crude ax, the shaping looks it was done by nature and natural.

17 and 18 look like chips from tumbling in water, it is very thick on the edge where chips are.

Maybe someone else will chime in, I would not have brought them home myself.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I relooked at the ones you mentioned, they look like normal chert shaped by nature, while the 5th shape resembles a crude ax, the shaping looks it was done by nature and natural.

17 and 18 look like chips from tumbling in water, it is very thick on the edge where chips are.

Maybe someone else will chime in, I would not have brought them home myself.
I suppose people could have been calling them incorrectly, but they all seemed happy when something like that popped up. Interestingly, the sights were inland sights not near rivers. Could they have been brought in and used as eventual working stock ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose people could have been calling them incorrectly, but they all seemed happy when something like that popped up. Interestingly, the sights were inland sights not near rivers. Could they have been brought in and used as eventual working stock ?
Do you know where and how far? Rivers change course over time and move.

They found a riverboat in MO a half mile from the Missouri river under a farmers field 40 foot deep.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know where and how far? Rivers change course over time and move.

They found a riverboat in MO a half mile from the Missouri river under a farmers field 40 foot deep.

The biggest river in the area was the Brazos which was probably 3 -4 miles south of the sight. However, there was a smaller creek not too far away.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest river in the area was the Brazos which was probably 3 -4 miles south of the sight. However, there was a smaller creek not too far away.
Most of the artifacts I found were from small creeks, if they are spring fed, they had fresh water year round.

I know a hunter in south central Texas who hunts artifacts and he finds a lot of chert digging with back hoe where old creeks use to be. When we are talking thousand of years creeks, streams and rivers move.

The riverboat was found a half mile from the river after only 130 years, imagine thousands of years.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol, here is flint axe or hoe I found, I think axe because of lack of polish on the bit. I think this is what you thought you were seeing in #5

It is 5 3/4" long X 4 5/8" wide and 1 5/8" thick.

1000002596.jpg

1000002599.jpg

1000002618.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions