Which XP?

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm considering an XP detector. Honestly, the reason for this consideration is how much I love the MI6 pinpointer. I had a pro-pointer AT and a ProFind 35 and couldn't stand either. Always seemed to be chasing something that wasn't there. Since I bought the MI6 I haven't had that problem.

Anyway, I think the Deus II is out. I really don't want to spend that much. I've been looking at either the Deus I or the Orx. I've seen the Orx with wireless headphones for $599 with either the 9" or 11" HF or the X35 coils. I thinks that's how it was. I like that price.

I've only been detecting for about 9 months. so I'm still learning. Looks to me that the Orx is my way to go. I believe I read the Orx is really good in trashy areas. I hunt yards and fields no beach close enough.

What do you folks think? What would you do?

DIG5050

Apr 15, 2021
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Deus II 9”
Garrett Apex
Fisher 1236-X2
Fisher CZ20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider a Deus II WS6 master, or a lightly used Deus II RC master. Shop around for the best deal and see what you can find. You won’t regret it.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest watching these two videos comparing the Deus 1 to the ORX. Gary Blackwell is one of the most knowledgeable XP testers you'll find.

I have both the Deus 1 and 2, as well as a Deus lite, which is basically the Deus 1 version of the D2 WS6 master. The Deus 1 is an excellent machine. Had the D2 never been released I would have been content using the D1 for the rest of my life. I have no experience with the ORX.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd just stick with your Legend. To me, it's not much of an upgrade going to the XP's.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'd just stick with your Legend. To me, it's not much of an upgrade going to the XP's.
Interesting thought. Thank you...

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using a Deus 1 non-stop for over 8 yrs. - thousands of great finds.
Has a ultra fast processor / recovery speed in iron and the most comfortable swing all day machine out there.

I've never used the Deus 2 but it's getting a lot of great reviews.
I'm sure you would be very happy with either one.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The whole world went upside down last Monday, 9-18-23. I bought a Manticore.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole world went upside down last Monday, 9-18-23. I bought a Manticore.
you can't go wrong with any of them. I used the ORX for awhile, sold it and bought the Deus because it had more features, used it for several years and bought a legend (only because I missed my Nox). earlier this year I bought the Manticore, my problem is, I only have 2 arms and can only wear 1 set of headphones at a time. I am going to start thinning out my hoard, I also seem to be collecting pinpointers and have the same problem with the arm thing.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can't go wrong with any of them. I used the ORX for awhile, sold it and bought the Deus because it had more features, used it for several years and bought a legend (only because I missed my Nox). earlier this year I bought the Manticore, my problem is, I only have 2 arms and can only wear 1 set of headphones at a time. I am going to start thinning out my hoard, I also seem to be collecting pinpointers and have the same problem with the arm thing.
Lol, I get the arm thing...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used the Deus 2 but it's getting a lot of great reviews.
I'm sure you would be very happy with either one.
The XP DEUS II is the best Iron and trash machine I've ever used. Especially with that 9 inch coil. I don't know what they did to that coil but it's as deep as the 11 but the separation is insanely good. They hit a home run with this machine.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used the Deus l for about 5 yrs-great detector and basically had it opened right up with the 9x5 elliptical HF coil using the X/Y screen.
Bought the Deus ll a year ago from the proceeds of a scrap sale clean up.

I have now settled into using the relic to sniff out deeper running max disc, (5)

But mainly the general program
Audio set on the High Square
Reactivity at 1
Disc at 6-8 depending
Sensitivity 98

When it hits that high sq. and it goes from a high # to a 05 it's usually fencing wire, 83/85-02 is usually a nail. Digging iron now over the Deus 1 is out of curiosity and I'm only fooled a couple of times during a 3-4 hunt.
The cast iron (pot parts-stove-track nuts) seem to be in the norm of fooling me once on a site.
Flat iron with the typical hole is another common got me signals.
Though I can say with all honesty that the iron digging has been reduced by 90% easily.
Not in anyway knocking the D1, but the fact is when I can gleam out more non-ferrous in a hunt I'M LIKING IT BETTER.

Is the Manticore a better machine? I wouldn't pass it up if one was dropped on the doorstep either.
It was a hard one to decide on which one to buy a year ago.
But with the track record of flooding/ears snapping/and other issues of the Minelabs have had I bought the D1 & ll

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought an ORX that was delivered last night. After having the Manticore for several months now, I'm not too sure it's a better machine than the XP's. I had the ORX out for about 4 hours today and fell in love with the machine. I was using the 9x5 HF coil it came with (bought a 11" round x35 too), I was getting faint high tones in an area of a ball field I've hit with the Manticore. The Manticore missed them. Unfortunately, I can't dig in this park, so I don't know what the signals were. I was using coin fast program. I haven't tried coin deep yet.

Going to hit my yard tomorrow. That will be a real test. I've hit it pretty good with the Manticore. If I can sniff out anything but iron, I'll be totally sold on XP products. I am in no way putting down the Manticore, it's a great machine and definitely a keeper. The ORX just really impressed today. If only I could have dug the targets.

Definitely thinking about a Deus 2.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to hit my yard tomorrow. That will be a real test. I've hit it pretty good with the Manticore. If I can sniff out anything but iron, I'll be totally sold on XP products.
Just bear in mind that you'll always miss things, no matter what machine you're using, so finding things in an area you already hunted doesn't necessarily make the new machine better. I've found plenty of things in areas I already hunted with the same machine. The only way to compare machines is side by side on the same targets, IMO.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bear in mind that you'll always miss things, no matter what machine you're using, so finding things in an area you already hunted doesn't necessarily make the new machine better. I've found plenty of things in areas I already hunted with the same machine. The only way to compare machines is side by side on the same targets, IMO.
Yeah, I get that. When I started with the Manticore in my yard I found things I didn't find with the other machines. Legend, Ace Apex, X-Terra Pro, and Impact. Many factors to consider, differing search patterns, ground moisture, amount of iron and the fact that I still use the Manticore with factory settings. I could dial it in to make it work better for each situation. Still lots of iron in my yard that could be masking other items.

I've just never really "clicked" with any of those machines. I began swinging the ORX and I just seemed to really hear what it was telling me. Swinging the ORX, just feels right.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I get that. When I started with the Manticore in my yard I found things I didn't find with the other machines. Legend, Ace Apex, X-Terra Pro, and Impact. Many factors to consider, differing search patterns, ground moisture, amount of iron and the fact that I still use the Manticore with factory settings. I could dial it in to make it work better for each situation. Still lots of iron in my yard that could be masking other items.

I've just never really "clicked" with any of those machines. I began swinging the ORX and I just seemed to really hear what it was telling me. Swinging the ORX, just feels right.
We may have to make a trade! :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out this morning with the Manticore and ORX. I have an area in the back yard that has iron and foil. Found a spot that the ORX hit a 91 and 94. Manticore had 30's. I opened a plug about 10 inches round and 5 inches deep. Lots of foil in the hole and through the plug. Area used to be a burn pit.

After removing the foil, I swung both over the hole again. Still had two hits at 90 and 91 on the ORX and the Manticore was now a single target at 45. I pulled some more dirt out of the hole and re-swung. The target moved to the dirt removed from the hole. I ended up with two aluminum pieces one small and one tag like. Dime added for size reference.

PICT0011_WM.jpg PICT0012_WM.jpg PICT0010_WM.jpg

Some of the other ORX finds turned out to be iron with no VDI. Just a faint high tone. Nails were about 3 inches, the hook like doodad about 8 inches, and the other piece was about 4.

P1001264_WM.jpg

So, I guess if I would have hit that spot with the Manticore and had a 30's hit in that area, I probably would have passed by knowing about the foil in the old burn pit area. Why the ORX hit those pieces of aluminum around 90, I don't know, but it made me want to dig. BTW, I was still using the 9x5 HF coil.

Still feeling really good about the ORX, and happy that the Manticore did hit every target the ORX did. The Manticore was sure the iron was iron. 😁

I did get the Go Terrain app working. Not sure it's really going to be helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread