Super Weekend with Legend

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a school built in 1952 and was hoping for a Buffalo or War nickel. I found a mercury dime here in August and have not been back until yesterday. When I hunt within 20 feet of the actual building, I get overwhelmed with pieces of aluminum trim from windows installed 15 years ago. With most of my other detectors, this scrap reads like a coin.

With the Legend, these scraps were reading 36-38 and I could ignore them. Yesterday, I started my first pass about 8 feet from the building. I swear that I had not gone 15 feet and got a deep 54 signal that was solid from all angles. I was hoping for at least a silver dime, but got more than I had hoped for. I saw a big silver coin at about 9-10 inches deep. 1933 standing liberty half dollar! Made my day. Next pass, an 8 inch deep wheatie.

I am the only one to hunt this school. Over the years, it has been hunted hard. Knowing that, I did the unthinkable. I left this area and moved to the other side of the school. I did this to save this spot for next year's detecting. I have done this to have something to look forward to next spring. It could come back and "bite" me, but having a promising spot for next year makes it all worth while.

Again, the Legend is the best "bang for the buck" in the hobby!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted a school built in 1952 and was hoping for a Buffalo or War nickel. I found a mercury dime here in August and have not been back until yesterday. When I hunt within 20 feet of the actual building, I get overwhelmed with pieces of aluminum trim from windows installed 15 years ago. With most of my other detectors, this scrap reads like a coin.

With the Legend, these scraps were reading 36-38 and I could ignore them. Yesterday, I started my first pass about 8 feet from the building. I swear that I had not gone 15 feet and got a deep 54 signal that was solid from all angles. I was hoping for at least a silver dime, but got more than I had hoped for. I saw a big silver coin at about 9-10 inches deep. 1933 standing liberty half dollar! Made my day. Next pass, an 8 inch deep wheatie.

I am the only one to hunt this school. Over the years, it has been hunted hard. Knowing that, I did the unthinkable. I left this area and moved to the other side of the school. I did this to save this spot for next year's detecting. I have done this to have something to look forward to next spring. It could come back and "bite" me, but having a promising spot for next year makes it all worth while.

Great job! Got any photos of your finds?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
SLQ=Standing Liberty Quarter. Walker=Walking liberty half dollar.
Congratulations!

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLQ=Standing Liberty Quarter. Walker=Walking liberty half dollar.
Congratulations!
I have a mental block with these coins. I don't find enough of them to know their names. By the time I find another, I will forget what you told me. At any rate, they are beautiful coins.

cronk

Sep 27, 2022
Indiana
Detector(s) used
EQX800, Legend
Over the years, it has been hunted hard.
Your post inspired me to re-think my detecting strategy at he elementary school one of our kids goes to.

The school was build in 1959, but the only older coins I've found there are two wheaties and a 1917 buffalo nickel. All those finds were on the old/unused playground, and I'm thinking that area had been previously pounded per the sheer scarcity of any targets whatsoever.

The majority of the time I spend at the school I hit the "new" playground space, testing out different equipment and settings. Best thing I'm going to find there is modern clad and sometimes small silver jewelry, but it's close by, low traffic, and there's plenty of variety in the ground.

Anyways, per your experience above I worked the Legend close to the building itself, 30 feet or so out and then right up to the walls. About half of the building had obvious recent landscaping/fill dirt, so I left that portion alone.

Unlike you, the gods were not smiling upon me this day, and I only came up with a clad dime and memorial cent. But still a fun experiment!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed! The Legend is one heck of a machine for the $.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would make your day, nice find their rayoh. Tell us, were you in Park 1 or 2, Field 1 or 2? I find I do seem to prefer the Legend over the EQ 900. Just seems more stable or something...and I have used the slip in battery pack on several occasions, nice to have.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would make your day, nice find their rayoh. Tell us, were you in Park 1 or 2, Field 1 or 2? I find I do seem to prefer the Legend over the EQ 900. Just seems more stable or something...and I have used the slip in battery pack on several occasions, nice to haveI

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it's always nice to have a backup battery! Glad they included the one in the Propac version of the legend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread