Suitcase Full of Silver Coins!!!

bigjer

Mar 28, 2005
Hi all...
? A relative of mine just showed me a suitcase FULL of ALL denominations of Silver coins....from 1800's-early 1900's? Morgan dollars(dozens) , 100's of Merc Dimes...some in booked sets..., Walking Libert quarters...too many to count...., and all ages of Half Dollars!!!!? What an incredible sight!!! There is literally 1000's of coins!!!
Now the problem....
? She is wanting to collect on her late husband's? "investment" and is not sure where to start. I am not sure either...since I just started metal detecting and only recently became aware of the values of silver coins.
? ?Does anyone have advice on where she should start to make sure she can collect a fair return on these coins??

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let her take them to a bank or a coin dealer she will lose 1,000's. Sell them on E-bay or a real live Auction in a Auction House with real live people. She first may want to get them graded from a coin numismatic grading co. (PCGS is a good one.) Tell her not to clean any that sounds like a great valuable collection! Tell her to be carefull, and have fun with the coins themselves or the cash that comes!

HH!!

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
I agree with MUD on this one....? Don't take them to the bank, as they will only pay her face value. The best thing to do is get a coin grading book and a current coin values book and then post them on ebay, and let the market decide the price on them. If you decide to use Ebay, then just be sure to describe the coins the best you can in the title and description that way the coin collectors will know whether to look at your auction or not...

Good luck, and let us know how ya do with them.... If it isn't too personal...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread