sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a prospector living in Fresno but have recently been heading to the mariposa area to swing my gold bug 2 around. I've been to bagby briefly and just the other day I did a quick hunt at Briceburg. I've heard these two names quite a bit in the local gold prospecting network, and I know gold is in the area. However, my question is regarding nuggets in general. Everyone always says, "to find nuggets, you gotta be in a "nugget area"". Ok, so obviously I don't expect anyone to give out their secret location to me and everyone else reading...but are there still some decent UNCLAIMED areas worth nugget-shooting? Or do I need to go deeper into northern gold country? Sorry if this question seems vague or strange. I'm not new to prospecting, but I haven't been nugget-shooting for too long, so it would be nice to get in an area where I have a fighting chance. Especially with a GB2! Great machine for finding that small gold. Thanks to anyone that can give some advice to a fellow gold seeker in the mariposa/Coarsegold area! Thank you, and good luck to everyone out there!

Upvote 2

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spent a lot of time prospecting in the Merced River area above Mariposa in the 70's. There is some really big gold there.

I have friends who still prospect there. One of those friends is Grubstake who knows a little about metal detecting that area. Grubstake has found some pretty gold in that area. Other people, some who post here, have detected good gold around Mariposa too. I can't share any exact locations with you but I can give you three big hints.

But before the hints enjoy the eye candy. Grubstake has graciously allowed me to share some of the beautiful gold found there.
Check out Grubby's gallery - I guarantee you'll be inspired.

Here are your three hints:

1. Look up, look around. Stop defining search areas by where the river is. Learn to see the land as a series of zones of different interacting mineralized areas, not valleys and hills. 60% of the gold in California has never been mined, move on from the easy pickings of the past and ask yourself where that 60% could be hanging out.

2. Research all you can before you go to a potential site. Study the geology. Pay particular attention to faults, alteration zones and complex mineralization. Study the mining history to understand what minerals and geologic structures are associated with gold in that particular area. Study the access routes, claims and land ownership status. Know as much as you can before you go so your prospecting time will be productive.

3. When you are on the ground learn to recognize the signs of mineralization both large scale and the actual minerals and rocks on the ground. Learn to recognize the signs and look of faults, dikes and gossans when you are in the field. You can't beep every inch of the ground to find the productive areas, narrow your search to areas with the right "look" before you expand your prospecting to less obvious areas.

Maybe some other members here will share some of their finds from the area too? ? nudge^ nudge^ wink* wink* :occasion14:

Heavy Pans
I'm happy this thread got brought up again or I would have missed Clay's gold gallery. It has a different name now! I immediately recognized one of the specimens. It is unidentified on the website but I photographed it while in the museum of natural history in London last summer.
_6290073.jpg

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the fun that is nugget hunting!

As I'm not a California prospector, I can't help you with specific areas to hunt in California, but if you'd like to cruise through my thread on finding nuggets, you may find a few tips to use when you get on some good ground.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread