Maryland regulations and laws for MDing

collectorBob

Feb 23, 2007
Maryland regulations and laws for MD'ing

Another poster mentioned the "mind bogling" aspect of all the laws. Are some specific ones I need to know about wrt MD'ing? I'm assuming all the locales marked "Historic Site" will be off limits, but what about unmarked public lands? Schools? Parks? Forested areas? Would there be issues, if say, I got permission to hunt a privately owned field just a few miles outside of "Historic St. Mary's City"? Thanks.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Maryland regulations and laws for MD'ing

for the private land ,as long as you have permission its OK.Schools I have hunted and never been bothered yet.I go early morn or early eve when there arent many people.The parks here are a little different.Im in montgomery county.I went to the dept of park and planning.The supervisor gives permit for 2-3 days at a park (different ones).Strange but he will not give permit for say,3 parks for a summer.Hit one and if I want more time I re-permit.When Im done there I goback for permit to another.The state lands you should check pertaining to each specific area.Ill also say that the park system takes over ALOT of properties that are abandoned or run down,ie:in my area a schoolthat was built in the 40s that no one wanted to care for any longer.Park maintains the the grounds and the building is not used.

McGarnacle

Greenie
Feb 16, 2007
The best damn pet store in town.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

jimmy5503 said:
//Ill also say that the park system takes over ALOT of properties that are abandoned or run down,ie:in my area a schoolthat was built in the 40s that no one wanted to care for any longer.Park maintains the the grounds and the building is not used.

Good to know, thanks

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

I've tried to get access to many state parks in Maryland, both here on the eastern shore and in Western Maryland. You have to contact the parks maintenance and manager and they always seem to say no. The only thing you can hunt for is 'modern' coinage or something you lost. and then, you need a permit.
Another parks person told me I could hunt, but I couldn't dig any holes. Well, that kind of defeats the purpose.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jeric2 said:
I've tried to get access to many state parks in Maryland, both here on the eastern shore and in Western Maryland. You have to contact the parks maintenance and manager and they always seem to say no. The only thing you can hunt for is 'modern' coinage or something you lost. and then, you need a permit.
Another parks person told me I could hunt, but I couldn't dig any holes. Well, that kind of defeats the purpose.
I hear you jeric...spent nearly 39 year's as a resident of MD....Nothing but a "liberal state" now....you can hunt but don't dig.....That's why I live in a different state now...You can't even "fart" now without getting taxed....Sad situation....Stick to the "private sector",you're better off....HH!!

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

I hear you jeric...spent nearly 39 year's as a resident of MD....Nothing but a "liberal state" now....you can hunt but don't dig.....That's why I live in a different state now...You can't even "fart" now without getting taxed....Sad situation....Stick to the "private sector",you're better off....HH!!

haha, you sound like my brother. It is frustrating, because you KNOW there is a lot of good stuff in some of these parks. They are very old. And even if you tell them that you will give them whatever you find so they can display it or whatever, they are just not interested.

D

Dad_of_3

I live in WV very close to Hagerstown, MD. As far as state parks go, you are allowed to hunt and dig with permission or permit. But there is a catch......You can only hunt in a state park that has a beach AND you can ONLY hunt on the beach AND ONLY out of the summer season. So I guess if you want to hunt a state park beach, you need to go out day after summer season ends. Anything outside of that is off limits.

I got my first MD just after Xmas 06. Went to one of the state park beaches when we had a break in the weather. Only found about $.75 in clad and a womans sterning silver ring. Not much else and all of that was around the life guard stands.

Joe (Dad_of_3)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unless it is also an historical site, metal detecting at MD state parks is normally allowed. The local authority, Ranger, care taker, maintenance, do have the authority to say yes or no at any time. Restrictions do apply. As most state parks are well hunted, if hunting is allowed, I would try other places for better finds. To See what your states regs are go to
www.fmdac.org and click on your state on the right of the screen for regs. Also if a historical site is marked but still privately owned you may get permission to hunt. It won,t hurt to ask. I have hunted at least one such area and found a few things.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread