Like The Whole And Mostly Complete Trilobites? Here's A Site For You

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Not too long ago, I uploaded my new page, called Cambrian And Ordovician Fossils At Extinction Canyon, Nevada . Includes an introductory text, accompanied by onsite images and photographs of representative fossils--all fully captioned.

The place lots of fossil aficionados call Extinction Canyon lies in the midst of Nevada's Great Basin Desert, and it yields locally common whole and mostly complete early Cambrian trilobites.

But that's not all. There's more. The area also produces excellently preserved examples of such extinct creatures as graptolites, salterella, Lidaconus, Caryocaris crustaceans, hyolithids, archaeocyathids, a tabulate coral, and Girvanella algal bodies (precipitated by photosynthesizing cyanobacteria).

Let's just put it this way. Extinction Canyon is pretty much a ne plus ultra paleontological district.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I have not read the whole article but where in NV is this located? Now that the weather is cooling down here in NV, we are getting out hiking again. Just went out yesterday south of Vegas but that was to go shooting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread