Homemade Relic Shovel

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I was trying out the idea of a folding relic shovel. I tried the cheap tri-folding shovels and didn't like the results. Plus they don't stand up to any abuse...hence the word describing them.."cheap".

I found on http://cheaperthandirt.com/CORP020-2333-1403.html The German folding shovel. All I can say is that it is heavy steel and not that flimsy tin. It'll weigh more because of that but it is durable.

It being wider than most relic shovels, I took the handy dandy Dremel cutting wheel and cut the blade down from 4" at the top and 3 7/8" at the bottom. I discovered quickly during tests that the blade had lost it's rigidity so I formed a slight bend in the center to strengthen it.

I took it with me on the Chisolm Trail Hunt and was impressed with it's durability. However, the short handle did pose a few problems. A Tnet member suggested a longer handle. After returning home, to the farm store I went and picked up a standard length shovel handle. The German shovel handle uses rivets to hold it in place, a pin punch and hammer solves the removal of them. Next was changing the taper on the new shovel handle to fit. After 1 hour it fit snug with a few raps of the hammer, insert new pins and hammer them down.

The next step was to shorten the handle by 8" and give a fresh coat of paint. I haven't had to use the pick part, but did notice that you can change it to the front and create a larger step area for your foot. The downside is that in that position it will not fold up.

Attachments

• RelicShovel.jpg
    RelicShovel.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,357

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
Try the U.S. military tri-fold shovel made by Ames. I've had one for about 20 years and its still going strong. Easier to carry folded in the case clipped to your belt.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Let me know how yours comes out ME.
I kept the short handle, I was going to cut it off and remove it that way, I'm glad I didn't. It took a little work but I finally was able to get it out.

I took it out relic hunting yesterday, glad I didn't reduce the diameter on the handle. Makes a great pry bar ;). Only found wire, nails and a large chunk of scrap iron, but It took a lot of prying and it held up to the rigors of to the force. I didn't have any problems cutting through prairie sod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread