Ground probe spacing

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve heard different spacing distance between the two ground probes for frequency generators. Dell Winders said like two inches or so. Others say five inches. One said twenty-five feet! The other day I was doing some research on this and I found out the farther apart the probes are the less resistance. I suppose up to a point. Down in Florida moist ground I can see close spacing might be all you need. But in dry ground it just might be worth it to experiment with the probes farther apart. I know it sounds counter intuitive but the way the flux lines curve, they go deeper with more probe spacing so you get more ground to work with.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve heard different spacing distance between the two ground probes for frequency generators. Dell Winders said like two inches or so. Others say five inches. One said twenty-five feet! The other day I was doing some research on this and I found out the farther apart the probes are the less resistance. I suppose up to a point. Down in Florida moist ground I can see close spacing might be all you need. But in dry ground it just might be worth it to experiment with the probes farther apart. I know it sounds counter intuitive but the way the flux lines curve, they go deeper with more probe spacing so you get more ground to work with.
I could make a better comparison like electrical wire: a short thin wire when probes are close together but a longer, much thicker wire when probes are farther apart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread