Glass Vase

Kds1066

Dec 30, 2023
I found this glass vase many years ago, but cannot find out anything about the type of vase. It is thick clear glass, 25" tall, 17" wide at the center of the lower part. Anyone know of this type? I do not know how to refer to it other than a glass vase. Thanks
17039754609806122314447797980935.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are quite desirable as home decor statement pieces. My father had one that he colourised by pouring yellow varnish into it to coat the inside and then converted it to a floor lamp.

They weren't designed as vases though, but were for transport of liquids in commercial/industrial quantities, or as brewing/fermentation vessels. Over here the rounded ones are most usually referred to as 'carboys', although we also use the term 'demijohn' but more usually for the straight-sided 'jug' forms.

The one my father had was the same rounded shape as yours and had originally been used for the transport of sulphuric acid, in a wooden crate filled with packing straw. It was too big for any of the family to want after my parents died and we sold it (as a lamp, with shade and electrical fitments) for £50 ($64).

PS: Welcome to Tnet.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, do you know if one this size has any value?
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_moved_over.gif
Since
villagenut identified it as a demijohn - I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT'S IT WORTH? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread