Could this be a Real Higley Copper ?? Found in old

Mrweb2017

Jun 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old coin the other day in an old coin collection full of colonial coins everything in the box was real.But this one I just don't know if it's real or not it weighs 9.7 g from the research I've done Higley coppers are so rare I'm wondering if it's a fake ?
IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can't tell the difference between any real or fake coin from a picture?[/QUOTE Why would I need to I'm not a expert just like everybody else that post one here. half the people just like me knew nothing about this type of coin/token, but branded it a fake.

]No coin expert would put there reputation on the line, by perhaps making a false/mistake call from a picture. And I know quite a few who deal in high numbers and they all say the same thing, sure in the minds they probably know. As for the coin posted Like I said I knew nothing of them until it came up on here, a very interesting history when you goggle it, especially as most varieties where double struck. A guess quite a number would have a poor look to them, not having a high relief on the flan due to worn dies and the way the moneyer struck them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you can't tell the difference between any real or fake coin from a picture?[/QUOTE Why would I need to I'm not a expert just like everybody else that post one here. half the people just like me knew nothing about this type of coin/token, but branded it a fake.

]No coin expert would put there reputation on the line, by perhaps making a false/mistake call from a picture. And I know quite a few who deal in high numbers and they all say the same thing, sure in the minds they probably know. As for the coin posted Like I said I knew nothing of them until it came up on here, a very interesting history when you goggle it, especially as most varieties where double struck. A guess quite a number would have a poor look to them, not having a high relief on the flan due to worn dies and the way the moneyer struck them.

Well if you missed it the foremost authority for these did in fact put his reputation on the line calling it a Becker issue. And it's like you say, so that ought to tell you how sure he is.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you missed it the foremost authority for these did in fact put his reputation on the line calling it a Becker issue. And it's like you say, so that ought to tell you how sure he is.
Never said it was real, I was more interested in the coin and the history. It's the so called experts on here that get's my back up, when clearly they now nothing.

But I'm still surprised that the foremost authority on these made a call from the picture, or was it sent to him?

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said it was real, I was more interested in the coin and the history. It's the so called experts on here that get's my back up, when clearly they now nothing.

But I'm still surprised that the foremost authority on these made a call from the picture, or was it sent to him?

He called it from the pictures.

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the center top photo, it looks like an area under the hatchet is "polished." When you blow up the photo to its maximum size, it looks like there is a shadow of the word COPY ... perhaps I am seeing things?

I forgot to say that in the photos I posted, I highlighted the letters a little bit just to show what I think I am seeing. The third photo hasn't been highlighted, but red arrows point towards the area.

Attachments

• COPY.jpg
    COPY.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 7.48.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 7.48.08 AM.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.20.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 8.20.19 AM.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I read that most Becker counterfeits have the word "Becker" engraved or embossed on the edge. I am pretty sure it isn't real, the surfaces don't look naturally worn, but like they were intentionally struck that way. The rim on both the obverse and reverse look highly suspect. Almost sure it is a fake. Still a good example of how a real one would look, and a pretty good fake!

I am thinking of also sending in a coin I am not sure about (I have been hanging on to it in debate with myself for two years), I bought it in my coin dealer's beat up 25 cent copper box, along with tons of worn beat up colonial coppers (George, Dutch, Spanish, Irish, tons of 1800's coppers, etc). I am not worried about it being fake, though I would prefer it to be real :laughing7:, I just don't want to waste the PCGS money on a fake. Crosby 1-B, decent surfaces, no seam or copy marks, but could still easily be a good fake, the edges got me slightly worried. Anyways, I guess I will take the risk of it being fake, in hopes of learning the truth. I hope you get it checked out before calling it a genuine coin.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...i-just-bought-nova-constellatio-25-cents.html

Upvote 0

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what are your plans on your copper now...? I wish ya the best but would like to see you find out for sure. Best wishes....... Brad

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions